WSM or Kettle?

PhilP

TVWBB Member
OK, I'm new to the turkey cooking thing. After spending 2016 working on my grilling and smoking abilities, now my family is looking at me saying "OK, you cook the bird this year."

Yeah, I feed them, they give me the bird. You know how it is.

Most of the turkey cooks I've seen (and even doing the Thanksgiving class at the Weber Grill Academy here in STL) are on the kettle. While it looks like using the WSM is an option, and I was leaning that way, I'm wondering if that's the best idea.

So, what is the best way to do this? Smoke it lower and slower on the WSM? Just stick with the kettle?

My wsm will be warm and running from the brisket that would've been on all night.
I like the idea of hot and fast to retain moister, that's how all my successful chickens have turned out.
Do you guys consider turkey that hard to retain moister compared to chicken?
I've never injected or brined and use either beer can method or spatchcock

Both work fine. The WSM can probably fit a bigger bird. The kettle is probably easier to get high temps. I'll probably go kettle this year. I never get the skin that great regardless.

To me, I use the kettle since it is easier to get the high temps and I can still use soaked wood chips for smoke flavor, but the main reason is the skin. The kettle is the best way to get that crisp skin that I want. Have done turkey and chicken on WSM but really prefer to do them on kettle.

I was planning on giving it a go on my WSM. I might just have to go with the kettle after hearing everyone's input.

Hey Bob, I'm sticking my tongue out at you! I want a 26!
That said. I've done a lot of turkeys on my 22 kettle, I agree with Bob, on a day when I will be basically doing everything for the feast, I like the "get it on and let it go" aspect of the kettle but, I don't have a WSM either.

I'm doing this years turkey like last years. Spatchcocked on the kettle! if I can figger out the changes they made to the photobucket app, I'll post some pics.

I prefer the kettle, myself. Much less trouble getting the higher temps. IMHO pecan smoke and Turkey go together like ham and eggs. :)

I like the higher temps for kettles, but a smoked turkey is a beautiful thing also.
YuLWr2KnuxfuOFLEjEmxHmmq-HTuSXPMUERVhXgZkrFgsTswm1bK0hwhN8EgTbC7vgoFbNCHzoUj4Q=w1920-h1080-rw-no

Tim

Turkey in the WSM @ 350 and Cornish hens on the 26 @450. The WSM has yet to let me down for Thanksgiving turkey.

So what's the trick to hit the breast and thigh temps. Below is what is posted on TVWB page on Whole Turkey - Basic Brine
Smoke at 325-350°F until 160-165°F in the breast, 170-175°F in the thigh, approximately 2-1/2 to 3 hours.My attemps in the past has been to hit the thight temp and with no red the breast is above and dry.

I've been doing them on the rotisserie for my 22" kettle for the last few years. I've really liked those results. But, my new 26" kettle is just begging for a turkey. So, I'm going to try it out. I picked up an all natural 13.6 pounder last night. I'm going to do LarryR's JD/Maple brine.

Back