Alex Mack

So I have been using my HeaterMeter for the last year and love it...thanks for the ideas and help with it!!!

Now I was looking at purchasing an immersion circulator for sous vide but saw the diy...I figured maybe I could double the HM use as a PID. I see I can from the forums. It seems I just need an SSR but I do not see specific instructions.

Are there any minimum ratings on the SSR that I need? Voltage? Amps?

I see from another post that it needs the DC to AC designation.

Also do I need to worry about heat dissipation?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Something like This will work for the relay.

You don't need to worry about heat dissipation if just running a slow cooker. Anything that draws significant amps will require passive (heat sink) or active (fan) cooling.

Something like This will work for the relay.

You don't need to worry about heat dissipation if just running a slow cooker. Anything that draws significant amps will require passive (heat sink) or active (fan) cooling.

Thanks for the reply. I purchased one from an electronics store that had a 40A rating and has the DA designation.

My intention is to start using the slow cooker to make sure I like the end product and its usefulness. If I do, I would then convert it into a bigger vessel and create a better and larger immersion circulator. If I do that I will think of adding the active cooling/heatsink.

Now, one other question :)

I also purchased a mini-pump which is submersible but am unclear if I could steal power from the HM. It is a 12V pump but want to make sure I can hijack power from the HM to give continuous power to the pump. I am thinking I would just use a molex y-connector between the power supply and the HM since it is a 12V power supply. My issue is the power adapter is only 2A. Will I siphon too much power? The pump says it is a 4.5W but I do not see any ratings for how many amps. I am also using wireless on the HM itself. I guess I could use an additional power supply if needed.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

At 12v and 4.5watts, that draws 0.38 amps.

On a side note. I purchased an Anova Sous Vide cooker, so the SSR that I purchased a while back that I never got to use is just sitting in my drawer. If anyone wants it, I'll send it off for $5 including shipping. Just claim it by posting on this thread (so people know it's taken) then email me at microdamper at gmail DOT com.

At 12v and 4.5watts, that draws 0.38 amps.

On a side note. I purchased an Anova Sous Vide cooker, so the SSR that I purchased a while back that I never got to use is just sitting in my drawer. If anyone wants it, I'll send it off for $5 including shipping. Just claim it by posting on this thread (so people know it's taken) then email me at microdamper at gmail DOT com.

If you will send to Canada, I would take it and return the one I just bought for $15.

Sorry. I'll ship to US only. International mailing rates aren't cheap and it'd be more cost effective to pay $15 for it up in canada

Back