Just Ordered 4.3. So Excited

Chris D Norton

TVWBB Member
Who knew you can get so excited about possibly screwing up a soldering job. Haha

First I appreciate all you guys putting the time in so I can reap the rewards.

I was wondering. I have a rasp pi model B and a rasp pi 2B.

I wanted the 4 button design of the 4.3. I see that the 2B is a work in progress right now, but can I hook the model B to the 4.3 for testing until the 2B is finished? Or is the 2B stable enough to flash the Heatermeter and use.

Also if the 2B is good to go can I use the configure file to setup the wifi settings before flashing? Anyone have experience with this. I think I read its client only. Which is perfect since I'll always be on home wifi.

Also can the 4.3 be configured for ambient?

I haven't built a 4.3 yet, but from what I've read about it and know from previous HM versions I think the main motivator for the 4.3 design was to reconfigure the HM board to PHYSICALLY interface with newer rPi's, because the pin header and position of the USB ports/LAN etc on newer rPi's has changed and they now interfere with connectors on the HMv4.2 board. Look at the HM Hardware sticky to see the list of which rPi's work with which HM's. Keep in mind this list shows the boards that will physically mate together rather than being software compatible, if you are able to physically connect any rPi to any HM it should work properly I believe.

I haven't used the wifi auto config feature yet, but if you follow the instructions and edit the file properly on the SD card after you image it I'm pretty sure it should work for you. Just be patient during the first boot because the HM may take some time and reboot a time or two during the first run.

As for ambient temp, you can install the vishay thermistor on any HM to report the ambient temp, or just plug a probe into any spare port for that matter. Since heat builds up a bit in the HM case and effects the ambient temp reading when you solder the vishay to the HM board my preferred method is to attach the vishay to a 2.5mm jack and plug it in from the outside.

Good luck with your build!

Last edited:
Ok sounds good Ralph. Thanks for the reply.

Sounds like what your saying the rp2 works with the unofficial pretty well? I have purchased the Edimax wifi adapter so hoping I can get the wifi going when everything arrives.

Didn't even think about just using a probe outside for Ambient. I'll def go that route.

What I am saying RE: Compatibility is the HMv4.24 is electronically the exact same device as the HMv4.3, just the physical layout is different.

As far as software compatibility with the various rPi's goes, I believe there were some differences with the chipsets on the newer rPi's that required Bryan to update the HM software a bit before it would work. I'm pretty sure there is at least a beta release that will work, if not official release at this point? I haven't followed that closely so I am not exactly sure the status, but I think it is detailed in the sticky thread about the 4.3 somewhere... At any rate, both v4.2 and v4.3 boards should work the same with whatever rPi's Bryan has built in support for.

I've built three HM v4.3 combined with a rpi3 and all are working beautifully. I have one running for almost two weeks now and no hiccups at all ;)

Cool thanks Tom. I'll report back on the rp2 after I get all assembled. Worse comes to worse I buy the 3. But it looks as though the 2 should be good to go!!

Back