Insulated cover for a WSM 22-1/2"?

ZacMiller

TVWBB Member
Got my treager sold last night and I'm wanting to set up a 22-1/2" for cold Iowa cooks this winter and continue my KCBS practice, but I've searched quite a bit and haven't seemed to be able to find one. Are they available? Also where's a good place to purchase a new WSM I'd rather support someone that works with BBQ instead of a big box store...

Hell i must have totally missed that, I was on there site several times a thanks man! ;) well with that being said has anyone used this cover?

Last edited:
For the cost of that cover, I'd either find a place at my house that would serve as a wind break or build a simple wind break. The cold will have little to no effect on a WSM. The wind will. I'd also try to find a overhang to serve as a rain cover. If you have none of those handy, then the $135 isn't too bad a deal. I'm lucky to have a corner with an overhang on my house that will serve as both a wind break and a rain cover.

I have used one on my 18.5" wsm for the past 3 years and not once have I regretted my purchase. In fact I just ordered another on for my new 22.5" wsm. Glad to see them back in stock.

I find you can make a wind break with some of that foil roof insulation wrapped round the bottom, then add another top vent to increase the air flow and the temps you can get are pretty crazy

Last edited:
I like the idea but would like it more if the lid section was detachable. That way you could get into it without having to remove the entire cover when adding new meats.

Like Jerry said, no real need for a cover. These WSMs handle the cold as if it wasn't cold. Really. You got cash you want to spend ? buy more fuel :)

Correct it's not so much the cold. It's the wind especially in the cold winter we have here in New England. Heck even just the cold winter days I use my blanket and use very little extra fuel. However where it really shines is on the cold,windy days/nights. I can sleep nice and cozy all night without the need/worry of adding more fuel during the night.

I hardly use any extra fuel during the winter months then summer.

I even use it on windy summer days and it makes a difference.

Just my personal experiences owning the blanket.

Happy Smoking

Welding blankets work great, but as mentioned it more about the wind. Reflectix insulation works great as a wind break. Form a circle out of it around your smoker leaving a 2" gap all around. Use self adhesive velcro to join the ends. It will also radiate the heat back to the smoker. The insulation makes accessing the smoker easy. We have used it on our Little Chief smokers for years.

For those looking ACE hardware (at least mine) stocks the Refletix

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/157051/reflectix

I had one of these blankets for my 22" WSM. It did insulate well but I felt it was too much. I wanted more airflow and felt the blanket took something away from the crust development. I switched over to a black woolen blanket that I found on Grainger. I bought a large sized one and made some measurements for all three sizes of my WSMs. A velcro strip sewed to one side is how it is secured. The blanket only goes around the middle when I'm struggling with keeping the temperature up. But you do have to watch it while it is on. I'm much happier with the result than the silver one, which I gave away.

https://www.grainger.com/product/PAC-KIT-Fire-Blanket-39P027?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/39P027_AS01?$smthumb$

The thing with welding blankets is that they are made out of Fiberglass and they shed those fibers pretty easily with handling and wrapping.

Tim

The thing with welding blankets is that they are made out of Fiberglass and they shed those fibers pretty easily with handling and wrapping.

Tim

Hum, I see that the fabric is woolen blend which I take to mean either wool and rayon or wool and nylon?

Hum, I see that the fabric is woolen blend which I take to mean either wool and rayon or wool and nylon?

Is that a welding blanket or an army blanket? Usually welding blankets are fiberglass based, but the more expensive ones use a carbonized black fiber which looks more like a mat instead of a blanket.
Either way that's a better option than a fiberglass one.

Tim

I have used the BBQ guru silicone cover for my 18.5", and I love it. It is invaluable for windy conditions as it will keep temps stable. Cold isn't so bad for the WSM as it can keep stable temps, it just requires more fuel. Windy conditions, on the other hand, can really effect temperature stability of the WSM, this jacket takes care of that.

i got a rel weber cover and its great just go to your url and type in WSM covers

Weber 99915 Vinyl cover for 22" Charcoal Smokey Mountain Cooker
get it at amazon $36

Last edited by a moderator:

Back