First cook - pit probe problems

WilburBurns

Ok, this is my fist cook with the heatermeter 4.3 that I just built from the kit. I don't have a damper of any kind yet.

I've done some testing with letting the probes sit on the counter (room temp), a few more comparing temps in water brought to a boil, and all seemed to be working well.

So, time to hook it up on the grill itself. I attach the pit probe to the exhaust vent of my Vision X Classic B Kamado, start a fire and hook up the heatermeter 4.3.

Initially, I notice the factory pit thermometer has a vastly different reading than the thermocoupler has, but assume that the kamado just isn't fully up to temp and go back in the house.

Once I've prepped my food, I go back out to put on my potatoes, and see the heatermeter says "No Pit Probe". I think that is odd, open the lid, put on the food, the heatermeter immediately shows a pit temp, so I close the lid and try again. After a couple seconds, I get the "no pit probe" across the heatermeter again.

Not sure what to do or how to fix this, can anyone give me an idea what is wrong.

And for other info, I'm using the version for the new st RPI 3 with the built in wifi.

I have pics, but I don't see any way to upload them from my iPad, sorry.

Cliff

What's the pit probe make/model? How hot is the cooker getting? Maybe you're exceeding the heat rating of the probe and when you open the lid, it allows the probe to cool down and reads properly again?

Did you make sure to not solder in the 10k resistor on the pit probe (only for food1 through food 3)?

After looking at your heatermeter page, you definitely have an issue. I would check the thermocouple make sure the wires are ok.

If you have some tweezersort, do the shorting out like I explained on Facebook. It should read pretty close to room temperature and be stable.

Thanks for the help. On FB and here, I'll, do the tweezers test showed 86 degrees, when in reality, it is in the mid to low 60's outside.

Cliff

Still having a problem for some reason.

The Pit is sitting at home, no fire. The Thermocoupler is reading 86 degrees and Probe 1 is reading over 700 degrees. See the link above for actual current readings.

Also, while running and maintaining 400 degrees on Sunday night, all appeared to be running fine, then the Thermocoupler went offline and was not showing a reading at all. For Obvious reasons, this caused my Fan and damper to do some odd things. When checking my food and opening the lid, the thermocoupler would come back online, then shut off again a minute or so after closing the lid.

Cliff

Back