Hello from Germany

SLensch

Hello together,

i'm a fan of this great forum and so i think, become a member an tell a little about me.

My name is Steffen, im 47 yrs old an live in Germany near the Ramstein Air Base (i think some of you know this) with my wife, my two boys my lovely dog and my 3 Weber Grills

In our region bbq means that: making fire only with wood, an when the wodd has burned down, you grill your meat at a so called 'Schwenker', like that

834240-bf0fd2f882c7ddd013e4dde103a220b7.jpg

In October 2013 i used to try grillin with a gas grill (never mind that a steak grilled on a gas grill could taste like a steak grilled on a schwenker), so i bought my first gas grill - a used weber spirit 210 from 2007 or 2008

838187-b57c1a272c9ee72e886e49661adaf1b1.jpg

After grilling my first burgers on this weber, i was surprised. One week after I bought a stone plate to make pizza at the weber - fantastic!!

Since this, i used my schwenker only for 2 or 3 times a year ....

In summer of 2014 i want to gear up - I sold my spirit and looked for a bigger one - a genesis E330 seems to be the next step, but on my visits at the grill dealers i saw the Summit E670 - my new favorit - but the price from 3700€ was too much for my budget - so i went for a compromise - I bought a Napoleon LEX 605 - backburner, big bbq area - sizzle zone - that was my new grill

837499-8d4490af48ff1d2690f0c7c9131f06e7.jpg

but only for two weeks - ther has bee a lot of things i wouldn't accept at a 2000€ grill - the drip couldnn't get pulled out of the grill - the lid handle got hot, and many other deficiencies, i didn't have fun with this grill :(

so i decided to sell the grill - most of my friends thought i'm crazy - and maybe they were right :D - but i think bbq has to make fun - and this was no fun wih the Napoleon.

I sold it a few weeks ago and my decision was firm - the next grill is a Summit E670 - new or used. For a new one i need to save a bit more money, and a used one i didn't find - but i find a found a Silver C for the transitional period until i would get a s Summit

838188-183007ca3b34e0b64e4c7c1418fff100.jpg

The Silver looks great and after i light the burners - the fun was back - crazy or not?

In march 2015 a big dealer offered the Summit E670 for a good price, so i bought one. My Silver C became a good new home at my best friend :cool:

The Summit is an incredible grill - i consumed mor than 9 gas tanks(2 of 5Kg and 7 of 11 Kg) in the rest of the year - it works and works and works .....

img_3320-1280x960-jpg.963600

Last november i thought, a OTP was still missing in our family - i had luck - someone sold a Performer Touch'n Go for liittle money and so it was mine - the Performer only get's used a several times.

Also i bought a Go Anywhere Gas Grill, that we use on holidays or on camping

834873-6b97ccd33c41b2b3f62432b6a2e8b4f1.jpg

This was a good investment - each holiday in the evening - when the smoke comes out the lid - i think - not bad for such a little one :cool:

And my next planning is a smoker - i'm not sure which kind - may be a propane smoker e.g. the Broil King Verical Gas Smoker or a WSM.
I looked at the Broil King, but 700€ semms too much money for that what you get - so i think it will be a WSM

I hope you'll fint not too many typing errors - sorry for my not so good english

greetings from germany
Steffen

First, Welcome to the forum Steffen. As for your English, you made yourself understood quite well. English is not the easiest language from what I am told. You did great and from the grills that you have, you will fit in here very well. Good luck on finding a WSM. I love mine and will be using it today. Never be afraid to ask questions as that is how we all learn. It is one of the best things about this forum. I know you will like it here and everyone is very friendly.

Greetings from the "little Germany" of the USA!

You're going to LOVE it here - so much to learn and have fun discussing and fill your belly with good eats...

We speak Deutsche here too (although I took Spanish...):
-Bratwurst!
-Schweinshaxe!
-Sauerbraten!
-Bier!
(some of these lend themselves to grilling / smoking better than others)

viel SpaB!

Hi at all,

thanx for your answers, i recognize that some of the most important german words are in use :cool:

greeting from germany
Steffen

Welcome Steffen. You are on the right track.
I still remember spiesbratten in Ida-Oberstein years ago when I was in the Army in Germany. Great times.
Enjoy it here.

Hello Ray, Idar-Oberstein is only 15 miles away from where i live. And spiessbraten i like too!! Look at this

full

Nice Steffen. Where is Huffler? I lived in Birkenfield and rented from a nice couple. I did not want to stay on base and opted to experience the German culture.
Ida's was very close by.

Hi Ray, Birkenfeld is also about 15 Miles away. Hüffler is between Birkenfeld and Ramstein, near Kusel.

Greetings

I know Ramstein. We would drive there to eat at the officers club. Great location near K'town as we called it.
I was actually stationed at Hoppstadteb am der Nahe and flew helicopters all over Germany and Europe.
Ray

Steffen: Wilkommen mein Bruder Rauchmeister! Ich auch war in Deutschland viele mal (fur Urlaub).

Been to Ramstein a couple of times too (6/99 for Kosovo and again in 8/00).

I was also a soldier in Augsburg from 1975 to 1979 and a civilian in Bamberg from 1999 to 2004. Ja, ich bin immer ein Bayern! :D

Back