Long time WSM Owner, Soon to be New WSM Modder

Wade Leishman

TVWBB Member
OK, I probably should have stayed out of this sub-forum as I'm kind of a tinkerer, and now have some new projects coming up. I've been a member of this forum for more than 10 years but hadn't spent much time here in several years... So my 18.5" WSM is a dozen or so years old and still cooks great! I don't use it as often as I'd like, but I hope to start doing more with it. I'm mostly a Pork Butt guy but did Butt/Ribs and Sausage for neighbors/family last weekend and all were fantastic, so going to start doing more.

I've been using Aluminum Foil as a gasket (because I never knew something else existed), and have quite a bit of smoke leakage without it so have ordered a Gasket Kit... my Fuel Door is original, and pretty warped (more-so than the older picture below shows) and I actually have kept it foil tape sealed to try to keep the smoke in, so I've ordered a new Cajun Bandit Door and new Coal Ring (my original was getting pretty bad). I've also never thought about wheels, but moving the WSM around is kind of a pain in the rear, so ordered some casters.... the Top lid Vent is also rusted, bent and immobile, so have ordered new vents and will drill this one off and replace. Lastly, I'd never considered a lid hinge, didn't know they existed, and often am having to look for a spot to put the lid when tending the meat... so have a hinge kit ordered too. I'm also interested in some of the stainless grates whenever they become available.

So long story short, I've got a bunch of mods on order, and can post a before and after pic here in the thread. (P.S., I'm also still plugging away on that 10+ year old BBQ Guru Competitor shown there which is just awesome).

pzCdmC0.jpg

Back