Looking to mod the water pan and charcoal ring on 18"

Harry S

I have seen some flattened bottom water pans for the 18" WSM that probably hold 1 - 1.5 gallons of water. Does anyone know where I could get a hold of one? The most info I could find was I believe a Brinkman pan that fits in an 18" but that was discontinued.

At the same time, I am looking to increase the charcoal capacity with a larger ring mod. I use the minion method, and it seems like I can get around 15 hours currently on a full ring, but need just 60-90 minutes more...

The ring is easy. Just buy some expanded steel from the local hardware store / homedepot type place and cut it, or fold it down to the size you need and then bend the ends together to hold it into a ring. Sure, you could weld it, or wire tie the ends together, but it hold charcoal, on fire, in the smoker, looks really are not important. Just make sure you don't get galvanized ( gives off deadly gasses when heated,) or aluminium (might get hot enough to melt.)

Just get a large heavy duty pizza tin (mine is aluminum) wrap it in foil (to stay clean) you'll never use your bowl again. Mine has been collecting dust for more than a year now

Just get a large heavy duty pizza tin (mine is aluminum) wrap it in foil (to stay clean) you'll never use your bowl again. Mine has been collecting dust for more than a year now

For the 18.5 WSM, what is the proper diameter for either a pizza tin, terra cotta saucer, etc? From what I could dig up, I see a few people saying 14". Does that sound right?

Back