Clay pot base with 14.5 WSM

N Burhans

I was wondering if anyone has been using the clay pot saucer mod with their 14.5 WSM? Can I just foil the saucer and put in place of the water bowl? Or do I need to find a saucer that will fit inside the water bowel and wrap each of them in foil? Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Many people say that by not using water, just an empty pan, that they save fuel. However, if they are using sand, a terracotta pizza stone, or any other thing accept an empty pan, they will gain nothing in terms of fuel usage. True they won't have a wet and dirty pan to clean but they are still using an equivalent amount of fuel. Just my 2 cents worth.

Tony
In your opinion is there any difference in thermal mass between:
Terracotta pizza serving plate
Pizza stone ?
Isn't the pizza stone much more thick and therefore much more thermal mass ??
Enrico.
I only use the terracotta serving plate, not the pizza stone. (I'm still looking for one to do a comparison).
I would agree the pizza stone has a more thermal mass, & imo would increase fuel consumption somewhat, (as Bob mentions above). By how much, I don't know.
On the 14.5, the terracotta serving plate is perfect for me. I can go 12+ hrs on one full charcoal ring, (tin-can Minion), @ 250F-270F.

I tried using a clay saucer in my 14.5 and couldn't get any heat. I removed it and just cover the water pan with foil and am much happier with the results. I was thinking of maybe trying just a dinner plate since there is a lot less mass but am pretty happy with the results using nothing

Last edited:
That's strange John, as I don't have any trouble whatsoever getting up to temps, & I live in NE Dampville!!
I used to do the same as you and just foil the water pan. But I had a taller, wider charcoal ring made for doing longer cooks, so ditched the water pan.
I would think an oven-proof dinner plate would be just as good.

Back