18.5 Cover Material?

Marcus Brannon

TVWBB Fan
I bought an 18.5 WSM earlier this year and the material used on the cover seemed to shrink and stick to itself in the summer heat. Eventually, it tore through in a few spots that got stuck together as I tried to pull it away. I didn't like the cover anyway as it was so tight.

The other day, I bought a 14.5 I found on clearance at Walmart ($40!). I noticed the cover was a better material, similar to the Weber Q and premium kettle cover I own. Does anyone know if a) they've changed the covers on the 18.5 to this material and b) whether the cover is included in the warranty?

Ok, so I just thought I'd put this up as no one responded. I contacted weber and they sent me a replacement 18" cover under warranty. The CSR could not tell me if the material had been changed.

The cover arrived yesterday, and indeed matches the material on my new 14 and Kettle Premium cover. So much better! The part number was 30173499.

Here is a photo to compare them (old on the left, new on the right):

zT097Ts.jpg

Here is an image of the tears that were caused by the old cover's material sticking to itself:

AzDCs1G.jpg

Never used the cover on mine. Even without doing any mods to the unit, the cover was wayyyy too tight for my liking.

I ended up putting a trash bag + 22" kettle cover on mine, but I'm going to give this new one a try. The 14" is kind of tight but no where as bad as that first 18" cover.

My 18.5 WSM has a cover from a 18.5 kettle, this cover fits way looser than the original cover and far better, and if I need to order another cover in the future, I would order the kettle cover for it.

I'm pretty sure this is the 18" kettle cover essentially. More material at the top for the dome though. It has the single Velcro strap like the kettle covers.

Nice upgrade for the price of free!

Glad to hear Weber sent a new cover!!!

I haven't really noticed a difference between my 14" & 18" covers. I have had my 18" for a little over 3yra now, and the cover is still holding up great! Very easy to slide on & off after 3yrs, never any issues with it sticking to the wsm. The 14" is still new and a pain to put on & off still.... hopefully will get better with time.

Hope the new cover holds up better!

I purchased one of the Weber covers with mine about 6 years ago. Mine looks like the newer style one on the Right in the picture.

My 18" WSM sits outside, covered, all year - it gets some shade, but also gets baked in the Summer and buried in the snow bank in the Winter.
Even the "tree rats" (Squirrels) seem to leave it alone.

It keeps water from accumulating in the bowl, bugs out, and keeps the porcelain from fading
(plus, I think that the covered unit looks nicer on my driveway than an uncovered WSM - unless, of course, it's emitting the characteristic wisps of smoke!)
The cloth covering is just starting to crack on the top. I'm probably about due for a new cover, but my old one doesn't owe me anything at this point.

Glad I saw this; I have had the same issue with the cover for my 18" WSM. I will reach out to Weber and see if they can/will do anything for me about it. Thanks again!

A year ago got a 14.5 on clearance too. Total impulse buy and was not looking for one.

The cover material is way better than old vinyl covers. Still feelsike vinyl but heavier and maybe 2 ply. Stil looks mint outside in rain and sun for 1 plus year. I also have newer polyester covers for performer and Genesis. Seem lighter than old vinyl and doesn't harden in cold as much. Time will tell.

Weber is probably getting a rash of warranty cover replacement orders as the result of this thread. The cover on my 22 1/2 experienced the same problem. It shrunk so much I had an extremely difficult time getting it off over Thanksgiving and when I looked closely, the 2 ply cover was cracking in several places. I called Weber and luckily I had one week left on the 2 year warranty for the cover. They sent a new one and it went on with plenty of room to spare and seemed to be a much better single ply material.

Back