New HeaterMeter Build Extra's

Bob C

TVWBB Member
Over the weekend, I was searching for a BBQ thermometer that could be read from the internet for my BGE. I happened across the HeaterMeter and was very impressed with what I read. I ended up ordering the HeaterMeter V4.3 kit and a case from the HeaterMeter store.

I am new to the Heatermeter and the Raspbery Pi. I already have temperature probes for my Maverick ET-732. I’m going to add a micro damper.

I was wondering if someone can confirm the rest of the items I need to purchase.
  • Raspberry PI 3 Model B (I’m assuming the PI 3 will work once the new version of the software is out).
  • MicroSD Card. Does it matter what size or will a 4 GB work?
  • Power Supply – One of the posts on this forum recommended a 12 Volt 2 Amp Power Adapter, 2.1mm X 5.5mm Plug. Is 2 Amp good enough for fan and also a servo?

Hi Bob!
  • Yes the Pi 3 will work with the current snapshot image, there's still work being done on it but hopefully it won't be too many more weeks before it is completed for the Pi 3 target. I've stopped focusing on the Pi 2 and original Pi for now until I get the Pi 3 perfect so people can start using it, then I'll circle back to the other devices. I have been using the snapshot for a couple weeks now and it is stable, but initial configuration may be more difficult (or not!).
  • Any size will do, HeterMeter only uses like 128MB total so 4GB is plenty
  • 1 amp could be enough but if the servo sticks, it can pull an amp by itself and brown out the whole system. 2 amps "should be plenty"

Hi Bob!
  • Yes the Pi 3 will work with the current snapshot image, there's still work being done on it but hopefully it won't be too many more weeks before it is completed for the Pi 3 target. I've stopped focusing on the Pi 2 and original Pi for now until I get the Pi 3 perfect so people can start using it, then I'll circle back to the other devices. I have been using the snapshot for a couple weeks now and it is stable, but initial configuration may be more difficult (or not!).

Thanks for the feedback. For clarification when you say the "Pi 3 will work with the current snapshot image" does that mean the version that is released or the one you are working on and be will releasing?

Once I read about the HeterMeter, I'm became like a kid in the candy store and am excited to get it built and tested.

Back