Excuse my ignorance, however....

Jim Mann

I am enjoying my new WSM 18.5, did a Boston Butt and three whole chickens yesterday, and two racks of ribs last week. Still, I can not figure out the useful purpose of the exterior catch pan between the legs. It just sits there, doing nothing, yet. Is that supposed to catch errant embers that fall out the ventilation ports some how? Thanks, Jim

Not ignorant at all Jim. We all ask questions now and again that we think are dumb. The only dumb question is the one you didn't ask. :)
Len & Enrico have answered your query. :)

Not ignorant at all Jim. We all ask questions now and again that we think are dumb. The only dumb question is the one you didn't ask. :)
Len & Enrico have answered your query. :)

Thanks to all! I never would have guessed that. I won't put a charcoal smoker or grill on my wooden deck for fear of losing a spark or two. Mine stays in my open garage on a cement floor. Thanks again, Jim

It may be a heat shield, but I suspect it helps with a problem I've had from time to time. Every now and then, the WSM will drip some "goo" out of the vent. I have an older WSM with no heat shield. It would drip on the drip pan I put under the WSM. I bet the heat shield would catch this as it runs out of the vent and drips at the center of the charcoal bowl.

I'm pretty sure Weber added that when they started to sell it in Europe. I don't have a problem with heat on my 08 WSM, ( I do HH cooks ) but with the new plastic or composite decks, maybe Weber thought different?

Tim

Garden gnomes like to take saunas under the WSM and found it to be too hot.
The heat shield was added to modulate the heat.

Got to keep your garden gnomes happy or you will wake up to tipped over kettles.

;)

It's to protect your deck or grass from the heat. No question on this forum is a dumb question. That's why we are here, to help each other.

My heat shield would not stay in place on the tabs, and would fall off every time I moved the smoker. I used pliers and bent the tabs in on themselves with the heat shield installed, and now it never falls off.

It may be a heat shield, but I suspect it helps with a problem I've had from time to time. Every now and then, the WSM will drip some "goo" out of the vent. I have an older WSM with no heat shield. It would drip on the drip pan I put under the WSM. I bet the heat shield would catch this as it runs out of the vent and drips at the center of the charcoal bowl.

I've had that too, and luckily it ended up on the shield and not the deck or driveway

Garden gnomes like to take saunas under the WSM and found it to be too hot.
The heat shield was added to modulate the heat.

Got to keep your garden gnomes happy or you will wake up to tipped over kettles.

;)

Lol.

It's to protect your deck or grass from the heat. No question on this forum is a dumb question. That's why we are here, to help each other.

Is it safe to use on grass? I wouldn't think so?

My heat shield would not stay in place on the tabs, and would fall off every time I moved the smoker. I used pliers and bent the tabs in on themselves with the heat shield installed, and now it never falls off.

I had that problem initially after assembly, when I was moving it.

But it's seemed to stay on after that. Although I haven't moved it around too much.

It did seem to stay in place when I emptied the ashes and tilted the bottom.

Thanks to all! I never would have guessed that. I won't put a charcoal smoker or grill on my wooden deck for fear of losing a spark or two. Mine stays in my open garage on a cement floor. Thanks again, Jim

A bigger concern to me would be using a WSM in a garage.
Get dead?

Back