PartyQ issue...........HELP!!!

Randall S

TVWBB Fan
Okay, I have a PartyQ and initially had an issue with the thermocouple reading different from my Ivation wireless. This issue has been resolved (evidently, it takes almost 2 hours for the two to read within 5 degrees of each other, but starts out 20-25 degree difference).

Okay, here is my "new" issue. Instead of using AA batteries to death, I bought some rechargeable AA.

Wanted something worthwhile so I got Panasonic eneloop pro (BK-3HCCA) 2450 mAh. Fully charged, put in PartyQ and NOTHING!!!

Looked on batteries and it says 1.2v/1.2v min. 2450 mAh (is this an issue?)

Used voltmeter and they each read 1.45v (and they work fine in anything else I use them in)

Put Duracell's in PartyQ and it fired right up. Voltmeter show 1.25-1.35v each.

Is there an issue using rechargeable batteries with a PartyQ???:confused:

Wanted to go this route, but it now looks like the adapter mod. :mad:

Also, is the mod with the newer PartyQ the same as the original? Don't know why it would be different, but then again.........I'M HAVING ISSUES!!! :eek:::rolleyes:

Any assistance/advice would be appreciated. :cool:

I have used eneloop batteries in the party-q with no problems. Maybe check the voltage on all 4 batteries.

I have used eneloop batteries in the party-q with no problems. Maybe check the voltage on all 4 batteries.

I have 8 eneloop batteries. Current voltages are: 1.40, 1.40, 1.39, 1.40, 1.39, 1.40, 1.40, 1.40v
I have 4 Duracell batteries. Current voltages are: 1.20, 1.38, 1.22, 1.37v

Randomly put in any four eneloop and NOTHING.
Slide in the Duracell's and it fires right up.

:confused::confused::confused:

Okay, found some cheap BTY 3000 mAh batteries, charged and NOTHING!

Found some old Alpan 600 mAh batteries, charged and it WORKS!

Now I'm dumbfounded..........:mad:

Last edited:
sometimes the male sides of rechargeables aren't as "pronounced" as alkalines... maybe its simply not making a connection? I've had that issue in some kids toys.

I use eneloops and the Amazon Basics knock-offs and sometimes I run into the same issue (that is, put them in & get nothing). 9 times out of 10, if I pop them out, re-arrange and pop 'em back in, it'll be fine. Could be they're just a hair shorter than regular alkalines. I stretched the springs on the negative terminals a bit and almost never have that issue any more.

BTW, the other 1 time out of 10, I'm trying to use batteries that I forgot to charge :confused:

Also, I've gotten as much as 16 hours of run time on one fully-charged set of batteries, but nowadays, I usually swap them out at about 10-12 hours. After my first couple sessions with the PartyQ with cheap batteries, I was set on doing the AC adapter mod. Once I started using good rechargeables, I decided it's really no worth it, and I like not having to run an extension cord out to the patio.

I still think there's a use case and have suggested to the manufacturer that they offer it as an option (wouldn't take much, just a couple dummy batteries, replacement back and an off-the shelf AC adapter), but I think they're logic is that those who want to plug in will use one of their other (more expensive) ATCs.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Stretched the springs and didn't get anything UNTIL I manually manipulated the batteries and heard it start up and then die.

Got out my dremel tool and opened up the + end to allow the battery to seat better. Now have full contact and smooth sailing. :cool:

Never realized the male ends were not as pronounced. CRAZY!!!!

strange huh? like I said, I've noticed it causing this on a few of my kids' toys. why they can't make them all to standard...who knows.

I still think there's a use case and have suggested to the manufacturer that they offer it as an option (wouldn't take much, just a couple dummy batteries, replacement back and an off-the shelf AC adapter), but I think they're logic is that those who want to plug in will use one of their other (more expensive) ATCs.
Yep, why add an option and make your more expensive line obsolete? :rolleyes:

I've got a 6v/1amp adapter and am going to do the mod "just in case" I ever forget to recharge my batteries (or have another need for them). Actually, just want to tinker with something. :eek:

strange huh? like I said, I've noticed it causing this on a few of my kids' toys. why they can't make them all to standard...who knows.

Yep, glad you mentioned it. It looked like a good connection, but the plastic "holder" was spaced just a tad too far for the rechargeable nipple. :mad:

Back