Need your opinion on the Red head...

Felix N.

TVWBB Member
Need your opinion on the Red Kettle

Guys I was able to purchase this grill because I've been looking for a Red Kettle for a while. On the pics it looked really good but upon further inspection it will need some work and I'm not sure if it's worth it. Here is the good, the bad, and the ugly...

Good- got it for $15, I had offered $40 but after inspecting it I was not going to buy it at all and the guy felt bad and offered to me for Free...I told him it was still worth something so I gave him $15...he was happy.
Also the lid looks really nice, I have yet to wax it but it's in really good condition.

The bad- the bowl has rust parts, still looks charming I guess. It will need a new blade cleaning system and handles...

The ugly- one of the legs is rusted, it's thru the bowl...I have no idea how to fix it.

As I see it these are the options I have.
1. Rock it like that, it still will work and looks cool.
2. Don't invest money on it, save the lid and hope that I will find a bowl in the future.
3. Fix it it! But its it fixable? I can purchase new handles, and cleaning system but I will need a reference on how to fix that leg. Can I weld it? What about the hole?
4. I have a GRASS GREEN bowl from a performance that although I know it's different than a regular kettle I can make it work...so Red lid, Grass Green bowl...I dunno!

What u guys think?

Last edited:
That's a 1985, (G-code), One-Touch. For $15 I'd say give it a good clean up, & replace the cleaning system, new ash pan.
Get the leg welded back up & give it a whirl.
Red lid & grass green bowl? Why not.

You did OK, it just needs some restoration, the leg is not an insurmountable problem. Someone here did a fix on that kind of problem with a really big fender washer and piece of tubing. It looked like a good method to me.i know someone here will point you to that repair. I'm still looking for a redhead! One day.....

thanks guys! im going to go ahead and buy the one touch cleaning system and fix the leg now that I have a great idea of going about it! This grill has a lot left!

Felix, you are doing the right and smart thing. My green Performer has a lot of life left in it inspite of a few dings and scratches. These Weber kettles are designed to last a very long time and they will keep going for a very long time with just a little love and care. Many here have older kettles with dings and scratches and they just keep making great food. I don't think I know of another brand of grill that is still loved and used for so many years. Congrats on a great grill.

thanks guys! im going to go ahead and buy the one touch cleaning system and fix the leg now that I have a great idea of going about it! This grill has a lot left!

Back