The Mini-Vortex searing in the Jumbo Joe

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
This just happened to be my first cook with the Mini-Vortex (see the details in the "Weber Charcoal Kettle Grills" section). We needed to grill a couple of smoked pork chops from our favorite butcher, so I thought it would be a good time to check out the searing capabilities of the new home made Mini-vortex. You will note that it is quite small and the chops rather large. You can only sear one at a time. however, it only takes a couple of minutes a side so doing two chops is not a problem.

No complaints, whatsoever! Of course, if I was cooking for more than two people I would fire up the Performer with the Original Vortex.
Here is the link to making one, yourself:

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?67183-Homemade-Mini-Vortex-for-the-Jumbo-Joe

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:
Going to see if I can get that bowl and try it. Raining again, used the JJ last night under the covered patio and we did a nice rib eye. Would have been nice to have a vortex for a good sear.

Rich, should we start another campaign to get you a smaller ARD? Barb already knows the benefits so this time it shouldn't take as long. Just sayin. Answer with a smiley and I am sure the campaign would gain some steam. :D:D:D:D

Going to see if I can get that bowl and try it. Raining again, used the JJ last night under the covered patio and we did a nice rib eye. Would have been nice to have a vortex for a good sear.

Last edited:
Very cool HM Vortex. I made the mistake of making one similar, only mine wasn't SS it was aluminum and it didn't hold up well. I'm not sure what aluminum melts at, but I reached a temp where it doesn't hold up well. It didn't melt, but it won't see a second cook

We had a small group over the other night (seven total). I used the Performer with the medium Vortex and used all the available food grate for chicken drum sticks and thighs. We used Weber's Kick'n Chicken and when nearly finished, glazed with Apricot Preserves, Honey, and Chipotle in Adobo. It was a big hit. A few minutes before the main course, I filled the Jumbo Joe with the Mini Vortex with ABT's and Moink Balls (all of the available space was taken up).

The Mini Vortex worked perfectly and the appetizers were a big hit too. This is exactly the situation that the Mini Vortex was built for. I just LOVE it when a plan comes together!

Keep on smokin',

Tim;
"Moink" stands for "Moo" (beef) and "Oink" (Pork). It is simply, in this particular case, a frozen Italian meat ball wrapped in bacon. Of course, you thaw it before you grill it. It takes just about the same time to grill as ABT's. The Vortex and Mini Vortex (home made, in my case) are perfect for grilling those. When the bacon is done to your liking, they are finished.

The moink balls are perfect for those who don't like any heat. For me, I like BOTH!:cool: They are great appetizers!

Keep on smokin',

Thanks Dale, I kind of thought that was the idea.
I am ready for some right now!
There is a meat market in Chicago called "Moo and Oink" very interesting place I am told. It's not in the shiny bright part of town and I have driven by it dozens of times but, never had time to stop! I will have to make the trek with a nice big cooler containing no more than cool packs!
Anyone here know the place?
Talk about taking something off on a tangent! Sorry.

Back