Hello from Deland, FL!

ChrisB in FL

TVWBB Member
I'm Chris and I've been reading the forum for the past few days as I scour CL for a deal on a used Weber. Think I may have found a deal on a side control Genesis E-310 but the seller is very slow to respond. Picked up a Spirit E-310 at Target today in case CL falls through. I think I'd rather have the Genesis though. Anyways thanks for all the great info. I haven't grilled all summer and am looking forward to soon be grilling on my first Weber!

Chris

Welcome to the forum Chris. This is a very friendly place to visit. Everyone here is very helpful so anything you need to know, just ask. The Genesis is an excellent line of grills. We love our Genesis 1000 (20 years old).

Thanks Bob! I've been on quite the adventure tonight. The side control Genesis fell through. I had a suspicion it was going to. Waited 3 days for a reply to my offer. Was surprised when they said OK. Then nothing for 2 days. Of course the ad is now deleted. I've learned to accept it ain't yours til you've loaded it in the truck, but stuff like that still irritates me.

Fortune smiled upon me this evening though. Was doing my usual obsessive check for new listings and got a hit searching keyword "Webber" in Jacksonville. Found the newest model Genesis S-310 listed within the hour for $150. I couldn't type "I'll take it" fast enough. Was talking to the seller within half an hour. The guy was very cool. Normally I do not do CL deals after dark, but I knew if I didn't get it tonight he was gonna get hammered with offers. Told him I'd be there in 2 hours and asked him to delete the ad as I've had stuff sold out from under me before. He agreed. So there I am picking up a grill at 10:30 at night. It looks great and hardly used. Some light surface rust here and there, but that will buff out with some Barkeeper's Friend I'm sure. I even gave the guy an extra $10 for letting me pick it up so late.

So in 2 weeks of searching within a 300 mile or so radius this was the best deal by far that I found. I'm actually surprised at how often a decent deal pops up. I almost drove to Charleston for a newer model E-310 for $150 last week. Glad I didn't now. Was hoping to find an E-330, but could not get anyone to go less than $325 which was just more than I wanted to spend. Really only wanted it for the side burner in case of a multi-day power outage. Haven't had a hurricane in a few years though. When we do I'll just have to figure something out.:)

Think I'll grill some steaks tomorrow :D

Chris

Just a thought for you Chris, make sure you have three or four full tank of propane all the time. That way is there ever is some type of disaster, power or otherwise, you will be able to cook for quite a while. You also might consider having a charcoal kettle with plenty of charcoal on hand also. Don't forget, many here cook with cast iron on their grills and kettles. Works quite well and food is normally better than what you cook indoors. Believe it or not, you can also bake on a kettle or gas grill. Just a thought but you never know when these things will come in handy. Congrats on that new grill also.

Welcome to the forum Chris.

Just a thought for you Chris, make sure you have three or four full tank of propane all the time. That way is there ever is some type of disaster, power or otherwise, you will be able to cook for quite a while.

Great point. The tanks sure disappear quickly when there is an emergency. One thing I've noticed about my Weber gasser is that it is super efficient. It takes a while for me to get through a tank.

Thanks for the advice! The seller gave me a nearly full tank and I just picked up a somewhat rusty one my neighbor put out on the curb. Surprisingly the rusty tank seems quite full. I was merely hoping to clean it up enough to trade in for a nicer looking Blue Rhino or Amerigas tank. So now I have 3.

A thought Chris, find someplace like a UHaul location that actually fills the tanks themselves. It is normally cheaper and they fill them fuller. I buy my tanks at Costco for about $25.00 and then have them filled. That way I know they have a longer shelf life. Remember, you can see the date code on the tank so you know when it will expire and also the tare weight of the tank. I then just weigh the tank on a scale and subtract the tare weight and I then know how much is left in the tank. The other advantage of the UHaul, at least near me is that they only charge for how much the fill, not a flat weight. That way if I take in a tank that is only half full, I am only paying for a half tank of propane. Saves money also.

Thanks for the advice! The seller gave me a nearly full tank and I just picked up a somewhat rusty one my neighbor put out on the curb. Surprisingly the rusty tank seems quite full. I was merely hoping to clean it up enough to trade in for a nicer looking Blue Rhino or Amerigas tank. So now I have 3.

Thanks Bob! I finally learned that lesson a couple years ago. We have a regional farmer supply chain called Tractor Supply. They only charge for what you need and I think my last empty tank fill cost ~$8. I do like the Blue Rhino type exchanges when I have an ugly/old tank to exchange. I've had good luck with them letting me pick my exchange which is usually a newer, rust free tank. I rip the plastic advertisement off (it promotes rust at the seam) and have a good tank for a few more years until I need to do it again.

Thanks everyone! Ended up doing burgers for the first grill and they came out great! Did ribeyes this evening and they were excellent. I'm used to grilling on the cheap Wal-mart stuff and the Genesis is just so much better. No going back now!

No going back now!

You have no idea how true that is!
First of all, welcome from a South Floridian. (I was just up your way yesterday bringing some furniture to my son at UCF,)
You're gonna love all the great info these people have and share.
Once you get "WeBBer" bug,,, you're hooked! (in a good way). I bought a Summit gasser last year and have only cooked a few times indoors since. I then bought a WSM 18" because of all the great things I read here (even bought a second WSM to keep in storage at a beach house we rent every year). And, to fill the "gap" between the Summit and the WSM, I just picked up a Performer Deluxe to round out my Weber corner on my patio.
Welcome and enjoy your future cooks!

Welcome Chris. I'm right up the road from you in Palm Coast. Someone in Orlando was selling a nearly new 22.5 WSM for $225 on Craigslist a few days ago. It was off the list in about 2 hrs. This is a great forum. Enjoy.

Thanks guys! Jason D., I was in Palm Coast a couple weeks ago trying to score Spirit E-210 from Wal-mart for $199. "You just missed it!" the lady with the Russian accent tells me. Ha!

Glad I missed it now though. I really wanted a Genesis.

An S-330 popped up on CL near me for $50. This is the model I really wanted, or any 330 for that matter. It had a good bit of rust, but so what for $50? It was complete. Talk to the seller. She says "It's yours. Come get it today". Half way there (45 miles) calls me and says she sold it to her neighbor for $100. First time that has happened to me and hopefully the last. She paypaled me $10 for cheesing me over, which I guess is better than nothing, but not real happy with how that turned out. 3 hours of my time wasted.

Right before Hurricane Matthew came through I traded in a tank at Wal-mart because it had a bit of rust. There were lots of others doing the same and I could not believe how rusty some of the tanks were. The Wal-Mart employee didn't bat an eye. So my curbside pickup super rusty tank finally emptied a couple days ago. Took it in for exchange and they didn't bat an eye. So much for worrying about trying to clean it up and make it look a little less rusty.

Welcome Chris! Hope you hunkered down well over there the other week. I have family in Deland and they said they lost power and the city was pretty locked down for a bit. Guess the perfect time to fire up the grill!!

Back