News of the Weird: Woman Barbecues Brisket In Bathtub

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
From the "News of the Weird" department in the San Jose Mercury News:

"Knoxville, Tennessee, firefighters were called to a home in July when a woman tried to barbecue brisket in her bathroom -- and, in addition to losing control of the flame, melted her fiberglass bathtub. Firefighters limited the damage -- by turning on the shower."

Here's a link to a local news story:

http://www.local8now.com/content/news/Knoxville-firefighters-Woman-tried-to--386521051.html

My favorite quote comes from the Fire Captain:

"Now, this may sound tempting and tasty, but now comes our public service announcement; 'THIS IS NOT A SAFE PRACTICE,'"

Followed by this:

"Firefighters said this isn't the first time something like this has happened. Before this, someone on the fourth floor tried to use a charcoal grill in the living room to cook."

I recently responded to a question request from Amazon -

Somebody asked if the 18" WSM can be used Indoors?

I responded by stating that I HOPE this question was a joke (I assume that almost anybody old enough to afford a WSM knows about the hazard of Carbon Monoxide...)
I then went on to say "Not just NO, but NO WAY!"

Is it bad / non-PC to view such people as dumb?....

There was a time when grilling indoors was not frowned upon...like this Weber demo in a department store.

"Barbecue odor and the smell of hickory attracted lots of customers as it floated through the fifth floor housewares department at Boston Store, Milwaukee, when Weber Bros. Metal Works held a grilling demonstration..."

12495923_10153625557678422_8780514028836847830_o_zpsa7qdlk1b.jpg

This 1959 article in Popular Mechanics says:

"The latest in these portable grills is the covered kettle type which cooks without flame and can be used indoors as well as out, since there is no smoke."

Right. :)

popularmechanics-apr1959_zpsoybxjjg9.jpg

Wow Chris! Where do you dig this stuff up?

I suppose that indoors, in a LARGE space like the floor of a Department Store or Warehouse would not be a problem for one or two grills, because the CO concentration could not get too high within such a large space/volume. OTOH, in a typical home or room, that changes of course.

Back