New WSM Basic BBQ Chicken.

DCloin

TVWBB Fan
Got a chance yesterday to smoke on new 14.5 WSM. I decided to start with Chris's Basic Barbeque Chicken Recipe.

image_zpsv6tjtv51.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Got all the ingredients together. I also planned to make some baked beans and the wife made baked macaroni and cheese.

image_zpsxxwcyjya.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

I started by cutting up one small white onion and 4 strips of bacon, then added them both to a large frying pan. These pics are a little out of order but here is the before, during, and final product.
image_zpsiac79acl.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Got the spices all measured out and mixed up. I only used half of what the recipe called for since I was only cooking one chicken. The recipe was for two. Seemed like just the right amount of rub to cover one whole chicken.
image_zpslnlyltgv.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

I got the chicken cut in half and seasoned up and put it in a dish covered with wrap. It went back in the fridge while I got the smoker ready.

image_zpstzp1afnk.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

I put 2 Weber cubes under a whole chimney of charcoal then added this to the smoker and sprinkled about a dozen more unlit briquettes on top. The recipe calls for one full lit chimney and 1/2 chimney but that was for a 18.5 in WSM so I decided to go with less charcoal

image_zpsjhy5n3oq.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Our dog "Lilly" was watching intently as I got everything ready

image_zpspo9d59gm.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

I got everything added and following the recipe all vents are wide open.

image_zpsysbcrmrt.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

When chicken was about 150 degrees I took off the lid and brushed on some BBQ sauce.

image_zpsyzmvmum1.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Neighbor kids came over to visit.

image_zpsqmcdohxu.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Chicken is done.

image_zpsim28xnvh.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

I didn't get a very good plated picture since we ate on paper plates by the fire. It turned out really good I thought. I had never put a rub on chicken before barbequeing it but it tasted great. One thing I forgot to do was crisp the skin over the coals. The skin was kind of tough and chewy. Every time I've smoked poultry I've found this to be the case. I'm not sure if that changes if you crisp it. I'll try next time. Thanks for looking.

Darvin

image_zpsedd1wvl5.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Beautiful looking chicken, there. Crisping up the skin requires higher and/or direct heat. I've had luck removing the center section and putting the cooking grate right on top of the charcoal ring in my 18.5. You just have to be really careful; it'll go from perfectly caramelized to burnt beyond recognition very quickly.

Nice cook!
PS, I'll never understand why some folks feel the need to be critical of how or what a person drinks. :)

Thanks all.

Jon, it's a Yeti tumbler my son got for me. As far as the Pepsi, I've never been a fan of Coke. Not saying I wouldn't drink it but if I had a choice I'd choose Pepsi every time. :)

Nice cook!
PS, I'll never understand why some folks feel the need to be critical of how or what a person drinks.

Lighten up, Francis (Bob) (From the movie Stripes)! Not criticizing, just appreciate the tumbler and bourbon. Curious as to the mixer and wanted to hear his perspective. After all, that is how we learn new things much like what we are all doing here on this website....

Thanks Dcloin. For everyones awareness, there is a site selling Yeti type coolers and tumblers that are same quality at half the price. rticcoolers.com

Nice cook!
PS, I'll never understand why some folks feel the need to be critical of how or what a person drinks.

Lighten up, Francis (Bob) (From the movie Stripes)! Not criticizing, just appreciate the tumbler and bourbon. Curious as to the mixer and wanted to hear his perspective. After all, that is how we learn new things much like what we are all doing here on this website....
I used a smilie Jon :)

As far as tumbler talk, WalMart's Ozark Trail one is pretty nice for the price, if still available.
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?65115-Bbq-and-cold-drinks&highlight=ozark+trail

Back