First WSM attempt

ChrisInhove

Hi,

Weber's are pricey in the UK, but having now used my new 14" WSM for the first time I would say they are worth it. I already know the quality from one of their fire-pits we have, but this little wonder worked like a dream, even on my first attempt and various school-boy errors!

I read up the Weber books and this site all week .....

I bought a large 4-5kg pork shoulder from a quality butcher Saturday. I have previously attempted a pulled pork joint on my Broil King gas grill, but used the fattier, smaller leg bit. That turned out OK but not exceptional for the cost and effort and I figured this time that a larger, leaner and more cuboid lump would be more forgiving. A dry rub of wild garlic salt, brown sugar, black pepper and smoked paprika went on and it sat that way over-night.

Sunday morning unfortunately brought the hangover-from-hell as we had watched/partied my wife's Godson race in the 1500m final in Rio, then Mo's gold in the 5k, but the WSM went on about 7:00am .

I foiled the inside and out of the water pan. On the 14" it is wide lipped like a WW1 helmet so you can leave a gap up to the rim, preventing seepage. Looking at the state of that foil, I am soooo glad I did.

Error 1. I crammed way too many briquettes into the fire chamber so when I added the small chimney full of lit ones, the water pan sat in those rather than the brackets. Next time I'll check and work out exact numbers before lighting.

Having over-smoked food in the past, I just used 3 small chunks of cherry wood, and obviously the minion lighting method.

A little more rub and then the pork joint went on the top grate, and after waiting for 200deg to be achieved, closed the vents to 25%, and I went for a lie-down.

Fantastic smells began to waft.

About 11:00 am, with the temperature at a steady 250, I popped in about a dozen lit briquettes and refilled the water pan. Having then read the Weber manual it says to use unlit to refill, so I did that next time.

Error 2. The door latch goes to 12-o-clock, not 9. At some point after the above, the door fell open and the temperature had soared by the time I saw it. Lid off, door on, lid back on ... maybe 15 -30 minutes of too high heat.

12:30pm I probed for temperature getting 160-170 degrees wherever. Hurrah! I lifted the joint on a carving fork and put it into a roasting bag and loosely tied the end. I figured this would work at least as well as a foil parcel. Back in the WSM.

Error 3. I hadn't changed the settings but couldn't get the lid thermometer reading above 200 deg - I opened the vents, waited, shook the briquettes, waited, opened the vents some more, waited ... nothing. The roasting back had inflated and was touching the probe! Lifted and rotated the lid, vents back to 25%, and voila, back to 250 deg.

About 3pm, a few more briquettes.

About 6pm, opened the neck of the bag - 198 to 202 deg where probed. Family still out, so re-tied the bag and put the lid back on, until...

7pm. Joint off, snipped corners of bag to collect juices, and rested, still in tied roasting bag under towels, until about 7:45 when we tucked in.

The bones just fell out clean, the meat was tender enough to have shredded with a rubber spoon, a proper smoke flavour - served on buns with Apple coleslaw - fantastic!

I am delighted with the WSM. It is properly thought out and works well. I am going to have fun with this.

Thank you, also, to you guys for all the information and advice, both here and TWVB.

Brisket next, I fancy ...

That was quite a battle, between the new WSM and the Bottle Neck flu.
Glad to hear it all worked out in the end.
Next time should be a breeze!

Congrats on the great cook. Sounds like the family was well pleased. Keep up the good work.

Hey that sounds great! Thanks for the details, I'm going to try a 10# pork shoulder for my first cook on my 14 WSM (hope it fits). I've cooked bacon and tomorrow I'm cooking fatties for my final seasoning. I can't wait for Friday nights pulled pork sandwiches. Do you have any suggestions for me?

Great story Chris. I am going to do my first cook on my 14.5 WSM this week. I'll probably be going with baby backs as I have made them many times on my kettle with good luck. Start with something I know how to cook.

Hey that sounds great! Thanks for the details, I'm going to try a 10# pork shoulder for my first cook on my 14 WSM (hope it fits). I've cooked bacon and tomorrow I'm cooking fatties for my final seasoning. I can't wait for Friday nights pulled pork sandwiches. Do you have any suggestions for me?

You're already way ahead of where I was .... I went straight from box to cooking! The lessons I resolved to take to heart from here was "Less is more" and "It's done when it's done", and it seemed to work. I had no dead-line and it would be dreadful to have one looming over you for a relaxed process like this is ... this cook took about 13 hours from start to finish.
Yours will be great - but good luck, anyway!

Chris. Welcome sir from a bit Up North from you.

Throw that Weber manual away! Better still, rip it up & use it to light your chimney. :)

May I suggest, on your next cook to fill the charcoal ring to the top. Then remove 10-12 briquettes from the middle, and get them screaming hot in a chimney, then put them back where they came from. Assemble the cooker. You should not have to play with the fuel for your cook. (I have got 12+ hrs on the 14.5 this way). Just use the bottom vents to adjust cook temp. Leave the top vent 100% open throughout the cook.

For a 4-5lb pork shoulder, you shouldn't have to foil, (crutch), if you give yourself plenty of time. You can hold it foiled, & wrapped in towels in a cool box for a couples of hours once you get up to final cook temp, if you finish the cook early.

Sounds like you had a pretty good outing first time. Well done mate. You'll have it down pat in no time. :)

Last edited:
Chris. Welcome sir from a bit Up North from you.

Throw that Weber manual away! Better still, rip it up & use it to light your chimney. :)

May I suggest, on your next cook to fill the charcoal ring to the top. Then remove 10-12 briquettes from the middle, and get them screaming hot in a chimney, then put them back where they came from. Assemble the cooker. You should not have to play with the fuel for your cook. (I have got 12+ hrs on the 14.5 this way). Just use the bottom vents to adjust cook temp. Leave the top vent 100% open throughout the cook.

For a 4-5lb pork shoulder, you shouldn't have to foil, (crutch), if you give yourself plenty of time. You can hold it foiled, & wrapped in towels in a cool box for a couples of hours once you get up to final cook temp, if you finish the cook early.

Sounds like you had a pretty good outing first time. Well done mate. You'll have it down pat in no time. :)

Thanks! Great tip on the lighting.

It was 4-5 kg not lb - I didn't want to take too many chances ...

Chris

Thanks! Great tip on the lighting.

It was 4-5 kg not lb - I didn't want to take too many chances ...

Chris
My apologies. Yep, you'll need to give yourself plenty of time for that cook.
You may want to try the next cook not using water in the waterpan. It makes to WSM miserly on fuel consumption.

Chris - what Tony says - you really don;t need to keep adding coals/briquettes - the 37cm/14.5in WSM will happily run for 12/14 hours +

Great description of your first cook!

I am still waiting for my 14.5" expensive wsm to arrive and am definitely learning from this type of posts :wsm:

Great cook and great documentation! Doing a proper postmortem with notes will accelerate the learning curve tenfold.

Congrats on the new toy!

Great cook and great documentation! Doing a proper postmortem with notes will accelerate the learning curve tenfold.

Congrats on the new toy!

Thanks!

As a post-script, I had frozen batches of the result, and took some to a family bbq at the weekend, where "pulled pork" made in the domestic oven was on the menu.

I'm almost embarrassed to report that my weber smoked version was considered better, in terms of flavour (sorry - flavor!), and texture by everyone who tried them.

Yay!

Chris, it sounds like the cook was a raging success since your Q got raves over the oven version. Don't be surprised if people ask you to do more of it. Also, don't worry about the English spelling of different words. Between the English and American spelling, use what you are used to. This forum is full of Brits and many other nationalities. Just be yourself. I find it really interesting reading some of the colloquial saying from different countries. As an example, a friend of mine who lives here now but is from England calls a flashlight a "torch" and a vacuum cleaner a "Hoover". I think that different spellings and sayings and works give character to all. Glad you are here.

Thanks!

As a post-script, I had frozen batches of the result, and took some to a family bbq at the weekend, where "pulled pork" made in the domestic oven was on the menu.

I'm almost embarrassed to report that my weber smoked version was considered better, in terms of flavour (sorry - flavor!), and texture by everyone who tried them.

Yay!

Bob.
Funnily enough, Hoover was an American company that dominated the vacuum cleaner market in the UK during the 1950's & 60's.
I've always known a vacuum cleaner as a.....Hoover. My Mum had The Convertible.

Last edited:
I know about the Hoover company Tony. I think they are still going here. I have always been fascinated by different phrases and words that are used in a different way in other countries and cultures. Just look at the differences between the different areas of the United States. The one that Darren (my friend) used that I really like is "torch" for a flashlight. In some ways I think it is a better description than "flashlight". Flashlight indicates something that flashes while torch indicates something that is on consistently.

Bob.
Funnily enough, Hoover was an American company that dominated the vacuum cleaner market in the UK during the 1950's & 60's.
I've always known a vacuum cleaner as a.....Hoover. My Mum had The Convertible.

Yeah, I agree Bob.
21ajlkx.jpg
= Torch.

;)

ps. Apologies Chris for de-railing your thread, with regards to cultural differences. :)

I used to get weird looks when using "colour" I used it when I worked in an art material shop. Then a wagged a tube of Windsor Newton artist "colour" in their faces and it all stopped!
That was an entire lifetime ago!

Chris,

Welcome and congrats on the first smoke on the WSM!!!

Not sure how much a Maverick remote thermometer goes for there, but consider one as they are awesome!!! I have two of the 732's and have been very happy with them.

For my 14" I bought an empty paint can (I think it is a pint size) from Home Depot that I use in the center of the charcoal basket (cut bottom out with a can opener). Place in center, fill rest of ring with unlit charcoal, then once the lit coals are ready from the chimney starter they get dumped in the can, and carefully pull the can out. I do the same for the 18" with a metal coffee can.

Good luck on future smokes!!!

Back