Platinum I 2200 Red Head Restoration / Rebuild Questions

Kevin Parsons

TVWBB Member
I'm in the middle of restoring a 1997 red head platinum I 2200 and i'll use this post to ask my questions as i go along

I've stripped everything down and currently cleaning the lid end panels, i pressure washed them and the paint just started coming off...my question is if you have stripped these down to bare aluminum or ??? At what stage have you left them before repainting them?

thanks

Last edited:
I stripped my end panels down to bare metal on my 1000 LX a few years ago and just repainted them with high heat rust-oleum and they have been fine. That HH paint is pretty tuff stuff.

I just finished stripping them down to bare aluminum and going to start painting...amazingly with the paint remover, the paint came off quite easily and now i have nice shiny ends!
make me think that i should do the same with the frame and box....but i think i'll just sand them and put a new coat of paint on them

Kevin, if your frame is in good shape, I wouldn't get into sanding and painting it. Mine was in good shape and I figured I should repaint it while working on everything else. I regretted how much work I had to do, just to get it back in shape as once sanded and using gloss, it showed all the fine sanding. So more sanding, painting, sanding, painting. Then when I put everything back together I realized much of the frame is not visible because of the firebox, panels, and z-brackets.

The side panels and firebox have a slight texture to them also. I sanded the sides a little too much and the texture showed up slightly with the flat paint but not much. I learned from that and barely sanded the fire box, just scuffed it up a little and hit it with the high heat paint.

I listed a few points I learned during my rebuild here; http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?66610-First-Weber-Gas-Grill-1993-Genesis-Red-1100/page3

Last edited:
If the paint is flaking off and you want it to look really nice, you kind of have to take it down to the aluminum. At least that's been my experience. Otherwise, when you start laying on coats of paint, where the paint peeled will be very noticeable. Then again, it's highly likely that I just don't know how to paint ?

DaveW, i agree about the flaking....don't want to paint over that, it will look terrible. This was the case for end panels on the lid so i ended up stripping those down to bare metal and painting them...they turned out pretty nice! The frame on the other hand is not flaking but really looks dull and faded. I'm going to give it light sanding and then a few coats of black gloss.

what about the fire box? Again i don't think its flaking (i'll have to confirm that) but assuming its just dull and lifeless, then i'll give it a good cleaning and sanding then a few coats of high heat paint

If all goes well i might actually be able to finish this thing up this weekend! Oh, i'll need to get the wood slats done

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of the wood slats, i see people have used lots of different types of wood. Red cedar seems to be popular but soft. Has anyone used maple?

Well i worked on the frame for a bit tonight...and the $64ooo dollar question is whether or not i paint it....generally speaking the frame is in good shape, its just dull and faded. A new coat of gloss would make it go WOW, but then i run the risk of if flaking

I'm also torn on the firebox? It's a typical used box with lots of fading, white stuff and some minor flaking. I do not want to get the paint stripper out as i did on the lid ends, i there an easier way?

should i just sand it and spray it?

Kevin

Use a wire brush on the firebox to get loose stuff off. Most important is to degrease it. Get some cans of brake cleaning solvent. Spray it down liberally (don't do this on a blacktop driveway or your lawn BTW). Allow it to air dry or blow it dry if you have air. Then paint it. The modern rattle can products are VERY good now. Use a satin or flat on the firebox and lid end caps. Trust me it will not flake off IF YOU DEGREASE. As for the frame here too I'd use a high heat gloss/semi-gloss Rustoleum product on the very top rails that are near the fire box. The rest of it use the newer Rustoleum 2X paint. It is REALLY good. These products don't even require sanding. Knock off and sand smooth anywhere you have flaking paint. Again here too degrease and if you're not sure degrease some more. That is the most important thing you can do. If you're stripping the grill down there is no reason to skip this

Brake cleaning solvent and caliber cleaner are available at the local auto parts store. Not sure if I would use them on my grills but they should work well as long as the grill is very well cleaned before using it, I would also run the grill at a very high temp before using it with food. Good luck.

what kind of degreasers are there? I'm not familiar with brake cleaning solvent? or caliber cleaner?

Just degrease the parts/areas you want to paint with something like this http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...8-P?navigationPath=L1*14924|L2*15037|L3*16113 don't worry about the stuff. First you're not going to use it INSIDE the grill or anything food touches so the precautionary statement given elsewhere is over kill. Spray it on liberally letting it basically "flow" off the piece. Either allow the piece to air dry or blow dry it with air if you have it. Once dried the paint you use will adhere very well. It's a very clean evaporating solvent basically. Certainly no worse than the volatile compounds in the paint.

managed to pick up yet another Platinum I 1200 with a black lid tonight for $20
what a grease mess...ug, but generally speaking no rust.
I think my red head is about 90% just need to finish the wood slats. I picked up some stain but it turned out to be too light so i'll head back to Rona and pick up something a bit darker.
I'm pretty happy with how it looks right now, i'm scared to fire it up, i don't want the new paint to start peeling. i guess we'll see.

there's a Platinum I 2200 with what looks like a burgundy lid for sale.....anyone see one of these?

First I sprayed everything with oven cleaner ,after letting it sit awhile I rinsed and scrubbed. I did this a couple of times. I then used a degreaser and scrubbed a little. I just used a steel brush by hand for the rest. Make sure you use Rustoleum High Heat ULTRA. It gives a high gloss, easy to use and dries quick.
Take your time and good luck.

:flagkettle:hi there, i'm back....had to take a couple of weeks off
so i have a question about the natural gas manifold. i have read and witnessed the control knobs on the manifolds become very stiff and tough to turn on old units. I can order a new one for $150 cdn but would rather see if i can rebuild or work on the one i have.

Has anyone worked on an older manifold and managed to get it working again? What can i do to get it working like new???

K.

Very easy. Do one control at a time. Take each valve apart. Inside you'll find a small cone (actual valve) and stem. clean the parts well with spray solvent BTW pay attention to the actual orifice. Good time to take it off and clean out any corrosion found blocking it. Once all the moving parts are cleaned get some black (moly based) synthetic disc brake lube. Do not buy the silicone based stuff. You can buy the proper stuff in a very small packet at places like Advanced Auto Parts or places like it. Each valve and stem gets a very very thin film of this grease. Reassemble and they'll work like new

wow, thats cool!
I'll have to give it a try

so on thursday i happened to glance at Kijiji and there was an add for Platinum Red Head....FREE....yes i said F.R.E.E....One of the local Got Junk shops was getting rid of it...ie going to the dump. I ran (no wait) i sprinted over and not only were they throwing the red head away there were throwing away a 18" kettle in perfect condition!

what luck!

so now i have sitting in my garage 2 black platinums, 2 red head platinums and 1 18.5" kettle...

has anyone gone down the road of powder coating? i'm thinking of getting the end caps powder coated vs the high heat paint thats on there now.

not sure if it would be able to handle the high temps though.....hmmmm

thoughts?

Back