Thoughts and Ideas; is this possible/probable and how much effort is needed?

TonyRamos

Hello everyone,

I am still new to HeaterMeter, just got my 4.2.4 and microdamper all put together and "bench" tested. Planning on a dry run or pork butt cook this weekend if I can get the time.

While I do have a technology background, I am not a developer in any stretch of the imagination so I don't have a grasp on what is possible or impossible or just difficult here. So here are my quick thoughts to see if these are good ideas/old ideas/impossible ideas...not sure if any of these have been previously discussed. Please let me know if any of these thoughts are not clear...its early and I have not had my coffee yet...lol

Status Page

1. ability to show servo output % separately from fan output % in graph
2. ability to show servo output % (happens now) AND fan output % in bar at top

Cooking Log - similar to another product that does not have the great features of a HeaterMeter, and at $0 since you would possibly use your own cloud storage

1. ability to log cooks to cloud storage and recall from web interface/mobile app? - or just view from cloud storage?
  2. ability to enter cooking log in web interface - ties in with storing cooking log data
  3. use template similar to this cooking log at www.virtualweberbullet.com/cookinglog.html
    • ability to store cooking log and cooking log data/graph in Google Drive/DropBox/OneDrive or similar (can a cloud drive connection be made?)
      • would replace/augment “cooker log” worksheet/page
      • don't think we need to record every 2 minutes; maybe every 15 - 20 minutes?
      • Maybe, store last ’n’ logs locally and synch to cloud? prevents problems if doing a cook without Internet connectivity (camping?)
      • option to sync logs to cloud at end of cook or discard log?
  4. iOS and Android apps updated to take advantage of this new functionality from mobile? (depends on app developers)

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts here and understand if any of this is even possible.

Thank you all for your time!

Tony

One of the best things about the HM is how much you can customize it in form and function. You can easily add some code that will show the blower and servo on two status bars. On the HM web page click the Configuration button then click the User CSS link at the top of the page. In the User Style section paste in the following lines:

#fanf { position: relative; #fe4 ; opacity: 0.6; }
#fanc { position: relative; #fe4 ; opacity: 0.6; }
#fanl { font-size: 18pt; color: #fff; opacity: 0.6; }
#fancontainer, #fana { height: 33px; }

This is the code I use, you can customize it to your preferences.

This actually displays the HM output % and the fan speed, which used to be fine, however, since the "blower on above" and "servo fully open" features have come into play I have been thinking this setup could use a bit of tweaking. These days I have my servo set to be fully open at 33% and blower on above 33%... At 34% it shows the blower is just coming on (which is proper) but the bar that represents the servo is showing just over a third, I guess because it actually represents the HM output instead of the servo position. I am not sure if there is a code to show the actual servo position, if there is I haven't seen it. (*feature request!) That aside, the above code will show them both and you just need to know where your servo is set to be fully open...

On the topic of cook logs, you can currently archive cooks I know, but I really haven't done any of that myself. Others have started threads about this though, and Bryan had done some work on a heatermeter website that could evolve into something with the features you are asking for but I am not sure if/when that would happen. Others have used some third party reporting tool that can archive cooks but they are displayed through another web interface, not directly on your HM. I think if Bryan pulls together the project he had been working on (I think he called it "HeaterMeter Live"?) it would be pretty cool, to share live cooks and hold archives that can be viewed in the native HM interface....

One of the best things about the HM is how much you can customize it in form and function. You can easily add some code that will show the blower and servo on two status bars. On the HM web page click the Configuration button then click the User CSS link at the top of the page. In the User Style section paste in the following lines:

This actually displays the HM output % and the fan speed, which used to be fine, however, since the "blower on above" and "servo fully open" features have come into play I have been thinking this setup could use a bit of tweaking. These days I have my servo set to be fully open at 33% and blower on above 33%... At 34% it shows the blower is just coming on (which is proper) but the bar that represents the servo is showing just over a third, I guess because it actually represents the HM output instead of the servo position. I am not sure if there is a code to show the actual servo position, if there is I haven't seen it. (*feature request!) That aside, the above code will show them both and you just need to know where your servo is set to be fully open...

On the topic of cook logs, you can currently archive cooks I know, but I really haven't done any of that myself. Others have started threads about this though, and Bryan had done some work on a heatermeter website that could evolve into something with the features you are asking for but I am not sure if/when that would happen. Others have used some third party reporting tool that can archive cooks but they are displayed through another web interface, not directly on your HM. I think if Bryan pulls together the project he had been working on (I think he called it "HeaterMeter Live"?) it would be pretty cool, to share live cooks and hold archives that can be viewed in the native HM interface....

Thanks Ralph, I will give your code a try!

Yeah, let me search the threads for what others have done for cook logs...and how to export the graphs...and the full cook logs being shared would be a great feature.

Thanks again..

T

On the topic of cook logs, you can currently archive cooks I know, but I really haven't done any of that myself. Others have started threads about this though, and Bryan had done some work on a heatermeter website that could evolve into something with the features you are for but I am not sure if/when that would happen. Others have used some third party reporting tool that can archive cooks but they are displayed through another web interface, not directly on your HM. I think if Bryan pulls together the project he had been working on (I think he called it "HeaterMeter Live"?) it would be pretty cool, to share live cooks and hold archives that can be viewed in the native HM interface....

OK...Ralph's CSS worked great for getting me Servo/Fan bars...how can I modify the RRDtool file/setting so Servo and fan show up differently in the main graph? Is that even possible?

Bryan - any additional thoughts on the cook logs? FWIW, I do manage an operations and development team for a large fortune 500 company and might be able to "sneak" some resources to the heatermeter cause...

T

Back