Accessories

AMumma

TVWBB Member
Planning my first smoke for this Saturday. Gonna do a pork butt. Are there any essentials I need other than the obvious (smoker, charcoal, charcoal starter)? I've never done this before, so this is very experimental.

Tongs are always important as well as heat resistant gloves. When you say "charcoal starter", what do you mean? I would recommend a Weber Chimney for lighting your charcoal along with either lighter cubes or crumpled up newspaper sprayed with cooking oil. If you are using the minion method, use a compact chimney. I have both the regular and compact. You will probably also need aluminum foil. Also a instant read thermometer or a Maverick ET732 or equivalent. Enjoy the that PP.

Tongs are always important as well as heat resistant gloves. When you say "charcoal starter", what do you mean? I would recommend a Weber Chimney for lighting your charcoal along with either lighter cubes or crumpled up newspaper sprayed with cooking oil. If you are using the minion method, use a compact chimney. I have both the regular and compact. You will probably also need aluminum foil. Also a instant read thermometer or a Maverick ET732 or equivalent. Enjoy the that PP.

Yes! Sorry, I meant chimney starter. That thing is a godsend. Now, let me ask the dumb question of the day. What's the minion method? I'm brand spanking new to this.

What kind of IR thermometer do you recommend? I was planning to buy a probe this week.

Those are chips, you want chunks

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002Y0KA1S/tvwb-20

you can buy them locally.

D'oh! Shows what I know. I'm surprised you can't use chips. I've got a ton of chips. Darnit!

Anywho, just ordered some on Amazon from that very link. Don't need them til Saturday and I've got Prime so they'll be here Friday (along with my probe thermometer).

One question about the instant read thermometers: what is the necessity of the probe AND the instant read? Can I get by without the IR?

Those are chips, you want chunks

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002Y0KA1S/tvwb-20

you can buy them locally.
This.....chunks for the WSM ^^^

Walmart is a good source for Western brand smokewood.

For pork, I like hickory...

WWWOOD-INC-WESTERN-HICKORY-COOKIN-CHUNKS-POP.jpg

Also the advice for a remote temp monitor like the Maverick is a good one.
Go with ET-732 or higher.

D'oh! Shows what I know. I'm surprised you can't use chips. I've got a ton of chips. Darnit!

You can they just put out a lot more smoke in a shorter time period. They just burn up pretty fast. So if you do use chips you should add smaller amounts more frequently so you get a longer smoking time.

Back