2014+ Weber Go Anywhere Gas Grill Retrofit?

Howard I

Greetings. I have been researching and reading quite a bit of information regarding the Pre 2013 WGA Gas Grill since I used to own a late 90's version with the wooded handles, etc. It was my favorite gas grill for a majority of my road trips. Long story as to why I don't own it anymore....... All I will say is that I took it for granted that I could simply purchase a new one about two years ago....... about when Weber changed the design and eliminated the flavorizer heat plate and added the 'hot plate' grill grate. (Horrible) I usually don't take things for granted or assume, but why would you change a design of a product that didn't need to be changed? (I have my theories and that's for another discussion)

Anyway, in reading the posts on this forum, I am still unsure whether or not the current WGA Gas Grill:

1) can be fitted with the after-market Flavorizer plate sold on eBay by rcplanebuyer

2) can be fitted with the replacement 10" X 16" Weber Go-Anywhere® Cooking Grid Chrome plated cooking grid. (I'm aware of the CrayCort option)

In other words, I am trying to 'build' an original WGA Gas Grill sans the wooden handles......... I'd do the handles if possible too!

I miss my old WGA Gas Grill. It went on some memorable road trips and served us well.

As an aside, when I contacted Weber Customer Service, I was told that the after-market genuine Weber replacement Flavorizer Bar and Chrome Cooking Grid would not fit the current WGA Gas Grill.

I would appreciate any insight or answers or suggestions that would lead me to a solution.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

No idea as I have no access to the newer version to try the older grate and flavorizer. I could check in some way but that certainly is an expensive way to go about it. I have about 7 of them. I could send you one that has a good flavorizer or one that has a totally rusted one that you could then buy the ss one. Not sure where you live and the cost of the shipping. I live in visalia ca so let me know.

Last edited:
I took a new flavorizer and a grate and went to orchard supply and tried them on a new style gas ga. Everything fit just fine so I suspect weber said no due to liability concerns.

Thank you for doing the field test...... After reading your initial reply, I was preparing to purchase the new WGA gas grill, then purchase the after-market parts to test myself.

This could get to be a little fun after all. After I build the 'new' WGA, I will report what kind of heat is generated with the new SS Flavorizer Plate installed, etc.

I will still miss my old WGA Gas Grill with the wooded handles........ I would have loved to have rebuilt that grill........

Thanks again!

I can confirm that 2014+ Weber GO Anywhere gas has the same base, lid, burner, regulator, etc as the pre-2014 and therefore the Weber flavor plate, the ebay SS flavor plate, the weber grill grate, and the Craycort cast iron grates all fit the 2014+ WGA-g and with these performs just as the pre-2014s. My suggestion to anyone would be to go for the ebay SS flavor plate and the Craycort cast iron grates as they will both out last you and you'll be able to just swap them onto a new GA grill at any point in time. The cast iron grate also help the grill retain and distribute heat better.

Thanks everyone.

I order the SS Flavor Plate. I'm researching the grill part now. I see the Craycort cast iron grates on their website. I noticed that the current version has a solid piece down the middle of the grill...... I think it is to protect the gas burner, but I prefer not to have the solid piece since I have the SS Flavor Plate..... Can I still order the cast iron grill as shown in so many pictures on various sites?

Anybody know of a Thin Stainless Steel grill grate for the WGA. 10" x 16" thin SS grill grate? I just prefer the thin grill grate and to have it in SS would be awesome!

Another member was working with the guy that sells all the stainless flavorizers on ebay. Seems they had one made and then the member dissppeared. No anwers or contact. I to would have loved to have one. I don't do ebay so can't contact the guy. Goes by the name rcplanebuyer on ebay. Try contacting him there.

Howard, I guess you are sadly correct that craycort no longer seems to have the ga charcoal grate. Just the gas version. I guess they think it will work for both which is the pits. Their site needs work as well. Maybe call them ?

I did call them....... only communication with them was via email. No follow up or confirmation that the GA Charcoal grate no longer is offered.

Another member was working with the guy that sells all the stainless flavorizers on ebay. Seems they had one made and then the member dissppeared. No anwers or contact. I to would have loved to have one. I don't do ebay so can't contact the guy. Goes by the name rcplanebuyer on ebay. Try contacting him there.

I'm still around here from time to time…I have two kids now so my time is very limited. The grate I had the guy from eBay make for me as a favor for assisting him with creating the now super popular SS flavor plate (300+ sold now) was a split 3/8" rod SS grate set. At 3/8" they are not thin as Howard is looking for, but 3/8" IMO is superior for these little grill as they retain and distribute heat very well. It was one off he did for me as a favor and I don't think he has an interest in creating them again. The grate set works outstanding and IMO are superior to the Craycort Cast Iron grate, which I also own. The SS is simply maintanence free, unlike the Craycort cast irons. The grates also sear the meat better then the cast iron craycorts….they craycorts seem to leave a bit of a burn-sear on the meat verses the SS which leave a nice dark brown sear. This grate set will last a few life times and I'll pass them down to one of my sons, along with my stock of WGA-gases I have in my garage. The grate set has been working flawlessly for me on multiple camp trips. Pics of the grate set below (hard to see but its split in the middle and is a two grate set):

The next best option is the Craycorts, which are also awesome grate but they just require some maintenance. I'd highly recommend them.

Last edited:

Back