Brown Film on cover

Cecil

TVWBB Fan
I have been using my WSM for seven years now and loving it. With the ease of operation I don't see why you would want any other smoker. I have a question that has been in the back of my mind for a while. When I use the WSM after the smoke the inside of the cover and side of the middle part is covered with a brown almost rust colored film. I always clean it off after use but I was wondering what is this film and does it hurt to leave it there.:wsm22:

I'm a couple of years into my second WSM after a dozen years of smoky fun. Other than scooping out the ash, I have never cleaned the inside of either one. I think they taste better as they get older.

Jeff

One of the most common questions about Weber grills is the residue, what it is, why it is, and what if it begins to flake off.

See What is that rust-colored residue inside the lid? Is the metal rusting?

My experience is that I get the rust-colored residue when cooking with water in the pan, and over time it tends to peel and flake off. On the other hand, when I cook without water, I get a shiny black build-up that does not flake off.

One of the most common questions about Weber grills is the residue, what it is, why it is, and what if it begins to flake off.

See What is that rust-colored residue inside the lid? Is the metal rusting?

My experience is that I get the rust-colored residue when cooking with water in the pan, and over time it tends to peel and flake off. On the other hand, when I cook without water, I get a shiny black build-up that does not flake off.

I get a shiny black build up that flakes off - on both my gasser & 22" kettle

Back