Writing HeaterMeter IMG via DD on OSX

Bill Herbert

TVWBB Member
Hi there, Just finished soldering all my parts/pieces and am ready to write the software image to an SD card. I would rather not install a software package(ApplePie Baker), on my shiny new iMac that I would rarely use and I am proficient in a Unix shell. Can I simply unmount the SD card and use DD to lay the image down onto the media? Im guessing the command 'dd bs=8m if=openwrt-brcm2708-sdcard-vfat-ext4.img of=/dev/rdisk2s1' would get the job done? Has anyone done this using OS X?

Thanks for your input,
Billy

Yep. It will work. You'll want to write to the disk, not a partition, so change it to "of=/dev/rdiskN" where N is the disk number of the sdcard. You'll probably need to run it via sudo as well.

Hi Steve, Thanks for catching that partition error in my initial command. One of those little things I'd spend hours pulling my hair out on. Anyhow, looks like it worked like a charm.

Adding screen shot to show command I used; may help someone in the future.

u3Qh5U3.jpg

the s before the dd command is a shell alias for sudo. Simply replace s with sudo. Also, VERY important, your raw disk may not be rdisk2. Do not attempt this unless your sure which raw disk device is assigned to your SD card. Failure to do so will likely corrupt your OS. You can do this by opening disk utility, select the top level disk on the left that identifies your SD card then click the Info button, top right of window. Now look for BSD device node in the info window. Replace disk# with rdisk# where # is the number of the disk.

Last edited:

Back