SJ: Reverse Sear?

Bailey G

Using a Smokey Joe and a full bed of charcoal, is it possible to do a reverse sear by using the vents for temperature control? How would you do it?

TIA...Bailey

Might need to do a two-step. Start with just a few coals and some smoke wood to maintain around 250. Cook until 100 internal, remove from grill, blot dry and rest, add more charcoal (or a lit chimney) and get the heat to afterburner level, put steaks back on and sear. A 15 minute (or so) rest while you're stoking the fire won't harm the result.

Jeff

It won't work with a full bed of charcoal. J has a good idea or you could use a half bed of charcoal and use both sides of the grill. Depending on what you are cooking, you might not have enough room.

It won't work with a full bed of charcoal. J has a good idea or you could use a half bed of charcoal and use both sides of the grill. Depending on what you are cooking, you might not have enough room.
\
That's exactly why I picked up a Jumbo Joe. Really like the SJ but a little to tight to do a two zone, I did what J. suggested and that worked but a lot of effort for a two minute sear. The SJ is great for burgers, dog, brats for short one zone cooks.

If you are at home heat them up low n slow in the oven and sear really hot on the sj. If not at home, but have a chimeny starter. Heat up slowly on the sj and sear really hot over the chimney starter.

On the SJ yesterday, grilled a sirloin steak seasoned in a homemade marinade. Poured hot coals into a Weber stainless steel vegetable basket instead of the charcoal grate. Used the Weber Gourmet sear grate on top of the regular cooking grate. Closed the bottom vent to about a third open and left the top vent half open to try a reverse sear my way. Placed the steak on the sear grate and placed the lid on. Cooked for about 6 minutes, flipped and cooked for another 6 minutes with lid on. After that, placed steak on plate, set aside and opened both vents fully open to bring the coals back up to temp. Took about 10 minutes for the coals to get hot enough whereas I could only hold my hand over the grate for a second. Placed the steak on for about 2 minutes per side lid off. Took steak off and let rest for 5 minutes. The steak didn't develop any sear marks or a crust. When I sliced into the steak, I saw the most gorgeous medium done steak I ever cooked... just fabulous! A perfect pink from top to bottom! Flavors were very good from the marinade and a tenderness I have never achieved before but the steak tasted cool not warm. Yes, reverse sear may become my new way of grilling.

When I built my Mini-Joe I used a Smoky Joe Gold. It makes a WONDERFUL smoker. However, when using the Gold as a grill, I was not happy with the results. I couldn't get it hot enough (lots of info about this very issue on the Forum).

At any rate, I had an opportunity to get a New In the Box Smokey Joe Silver. I only tried it a time or two but, again, was not happy with the temps. I admit that if I worked a bit more with it I might have better results.

That said, I found a new Jumbo Joe on sale "end of season" for $30.00 and picked it up. Now, THAT'S a GRILL. MUCH hotter and enough room to do a two stage fire. It makes a reverse sear a pleasure. I have NOTHING but praise for the Jumbo Joe. It will handle all portable chores and give you a real grill for direct, indirect, etc. I often use the JJ when cooking for just us two instead of the Performers. Good piece of gear, for sure...

That's my take...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I've cooked some good steaks on my SJ gold but I like my 18.5" wsm in the little black egg configuration better.

How I've done it that's worked best was with coals almost to the grate, maybe even pressed down with the grate while they're cooking down. Cook with the lid on but a little offset, and leave the lid off almost all the way to really let the fire rip.

I do pretty much the same thing on my 22.5" kettle with the coals piled up near the grate, but that's only like one-third of the grate, not 85% like on the SJ.

Reverse sear is the way to go IMO.

Might need to do a two-step. Start with just a few coals and some smoke wood to maintain around 250. Cook until 100 internal, remove from grill, blot dry and rest, add more charcoal (or a lit chimney) and get the heat to afterburner level, put steaks back on and sear. A 15 minute (or so) rest while you're stoking the fire won't harm the result.

Jeff

Not only will the 15 minute rest "Not Harm" the results but when it comes to doing the Reverse Sear method it is the preferred way to go. Resting the steak while bringing the temp up to sear range means that after the sear you do not have to rest the streak again and can dig right into a warm piece of meat. That is the way this method was designed originally and it works for me.

Last edited:
Not only with the 15 minute rest "Not Harm" the results but when it comes to doing the Reverse Sear method it is the preferred way to go. Resting the steak while bringing the temp up to sear range means that after the sear you do not have to rest the streak again and can dig right into a warm piece of meat. That is the way this method was designed originally and it works for me.

That's how I do it too, Steve. It usually takes about 15 minutes or so of low and slow to get the steak up to around 100 internal, which is just enough time to put a little mellow smoke into the flavor (I use pecan). And I'm a big believer in the rest period. The sear takes a total of about 3 minutes and adds just the right savoriness to the finished product.

Do you blot the steak dry after the rest and use a little oil or butter for the sear? Do you add any salt or pepper at that stage?

Jeff

That's how I do it too, Steve. It usually takes about 15 minutes or so of low and slow to get the steak up to around 100 internal, which is just enough time to put a little mellow smoke into the flavor (I use pecan). And I'm a big believer in the rest period. The sear takes a total of about 3 minutes and adds just the right savoriness to the finished product.

Do you blot the steak dry after the rest and use a little oil or butter for the sear? Do you add any salt or pepper at that stage?

Jeff

Hey Jeff,
I salt the steaks for upwards to an hour before the cook and let sit on a plate on the kitchen counter to de-chill and allow the salt to work into the meat a bit. Always tastes good and not too salty. I then blot dry to remove the moisture brought to the surface of the meat from the salt before starting the slow cook. I then blot again after the rest and apply a light coat of oil before searing. I used to pepper just prior to putting on the grill but I have decided I like to wait and apply the pepper after the cook just before serving.

Hey Jeff,
I salt the steaks for upwards to an hour before the cook and let sit on a plate on the kitchen counter to de-chill and allow the salt to work into the meat a bit. Always tastes good and not too salty. I then blot dry to remove the moisture brought to the surface of the meat from the salt before starting the slow cook. I then blot again after the rest and apply a light coat of oil before searing. I used to pepper just prior to putting on the grill but I have decided I like to wait and apply the pepper after the cook just before serving.

I started dry brining -- kosher salt on all sides then unwrapped on a cooling rack in the fridge for 24 hours. It's worth it if you have the time and fridge space. Be careful not to over-salt. I do pretty much what you do for the cook. Pepper before serving rather than on the heat seems to taste better.

Back