To paint or not to paint

So has anyone had issues with painting the Mini Smokey Joe smoker? The reason i ask is a lot of "Car" guys in my neighborhood are telling me not to paint it. They said that the high heat engine paints are toxic ( i understand the paint is only on the outside ). They also told me that it will start to come off.

Has anyone had issues with the paint? I bought the Rust-Oleum High-Heat 2000F.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...namel-Flat-Black-Spray-Paint-248903/202623076

Thoughts?

My paint is "worn" and if you're not particular about your mini, I would skip the paint. But if you want it to be original, then paint you must :)

If your using your mini to smoke-225 to 300 and maybe chicken to 350 to 425 degrees, don't worry about the paint its on the outside and too many people have painted their mini's and no one has said that they have been sick from using their painted mini. Paint if you want or don't no one here will judge your mini, just your cook with the mini-lol!

G'day
I first painted mine in Hi temp paint... No primer needed. How wrong that was. As soon as it was warm it got sticky enough to hold a finger print. Stripped that and used a Etch Primer and then used an engine block paint Ie A lower temp paint. No probs then.
So the leason I learnt, Aluminium needs an etch primer.
And engine block temp paints are good. High temp brake caliper paint is overkill
Brake caliper paint sounds good but it's over kill for a smoker.

Actually, Jim, the inside can be painted with a glossy high temp spray paint. You can find that type of spray paint at any local hardware store.

Actually, Jim, the inside can be painted with a glossy high temp spray paint. You can find that type of spray paint at any local hardware store.

Bill, I'm not saying it can't be painted. I'm just cautious about the fumes or even the break down of the paint internally during the cooking process. I have no issues at all about painting the external surface. Is there a specific brand of paint that you use that is acceptable for food applications? If so, then I'm on board.

So has anyone had issues with painting the Mini Smokey Joe smoker? The reason i ask is a lot of "Car" guys in my neighborhood are telling me not to paint it. They said that the high heat engine paints are toxic ( i understand the paint is only on the outside ). They also told me that it will start to come off.

Has anyone had issues with the paint? I bought the Rust-Oleum High-Heat 2000F.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...namel-Flat-Black-Spray-Paint-248903/202623076 Thoughts?
Big Mike, I sent an email to RustOleum about this subject and just as I suspected it was not recommended to paint the inside. I copied and pasted below:

"ROProductSupport" roproductsupport@rustoleum.com
Hi Mr. Strickland,
Thank you for contacting Rust-Oleum Product Support.
Unfortunately, we do not recommend using any of our products on the interior of your bbq grill. The Specialty High Heat paint is intended for application to the exterior of the grill for a couple of reasons. Firstly, the heat and fire exposure to the application and secondly, our paints are not food safe so we do not recommend applications that are near food products.
If you have any additional questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us.
Regards,
Roberta
To help expedite your response, please reply directly to this e-mail without making any changes to the email body, or the Subject line

Hope this helps you. ~Jim

Big Mike, I sent an email to RustOleum about this subject and just as I suspected it was not recommended to paint the inside. I copied and pasted below:

"ROProductSupport" roproductsupport@rustoleum.com
Hi Mr. Strickland,
Thank you for contacting Rust-Oleum Product Support.
Unfortunately, we do not recommend using any of our products on the interior of your bbq grill. The Specialty High Heat paint is intended for application to the exterior of the grill for a couple of reasons. Firstly, the heat and fire exposure to the application and secondly, our paints are not food safe so we do not recommend applications that are near food products.
If you have any additional questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us.
Regards,
Roberta
To help expedite your response, please reply directly to this e-mail without making any changes to the email body, or the Subject line

Hope this helps you. ~Jim

Thank you for this information!

Back