Power appears to be cycling when I plug in the output cable

C Summerlin

Hey guys, I'm finishing up my first HM build. I already had a 6.5 cfm Auber blower, so I am using that for now. I made a short adapter to get me from the barrel jack on the Auber blower to the RJ-45 jack. I have the blue wire soldered to the outer ring of the female barrel jack and the blue/white soldered to the pin in the middle. Everything seems to work normally until I plug in the RJ-45 connector. Then the LEDs and the LCD start cycling on and off quickly. When the LCD is on, it says "no pit probe". It seems like the power to the whole HM is cycling. As soon as I unplug the output cable, it goes back to normal (all probes work, I can connect to the heatermeter AP and control it with the web UI, LCD and LEDs work, etc.) I have 12 volts across pins 4 and 5.

Any ideas?

Does it happen as soon as you put the rj45 adapter in, or does it only happen when you plug the fan into the barrel jack of the adapter?

If it happens right away, you most likely have a short circuit in the adapter cable. If it only happens after you plug the fan in, I would focus on the fan being the problem.

Yep, it was a short on the barrel jack end of the adapter cable. Based on some googling, I guess it was going into "hiccup mode" to protect it from overheating. Works great now. I'm able to step the fan speed up in manual mode. Can't wait to try it out this weekend.

Thanks for the help.

Back