calling all weber gas go anywhere owners

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
so today i cooked on my gga and it wasn't the greatest. i knew that they had issues with the wind.
today the flame blew out 3 times. yea, i know, get it out of the wind but not able today.
so when i got mine long ago i built a shield at the tube were the regulator goes in. thought that would
fix it because it seemed to be ok. course i know that the burner tube flame does not burn well at the regulator
side. not sure of the fix for that.
now i saw last night that the new gga has a shield under the burner tube to i believe prevent these blow outs
from the wind. so i guess i will be fabricating one.
so, any experiences or fixes out there ?
i also used my old sunbeam gas unit and it had a better and hotter flame and did not blow out.
problem is that the rocks tend to unevenly distribute the heat. right now it seems a better unit which saddens me.
thanks,

george

Well, in my quest to fully understand the gga I was messing around with various adjustments including the air intake opening of the tube and I noticed that in adjusting the regulator screw I didn't get much change. So I took the regulator out with the bottle still attached and noticed two things at once. One was that the bottle was light and it should not have been and even though the reg was turned off I could smell gas. Long story short I found the reg schrader valve defective. The little seal was deformed thus causing my issues. Going to get another schrader valve and continue soon.

Hope you get it fixed soon !

We've used those grills up in the Deschutes Canyon where it can get windy.
Never had any problems.

well, got a schrader valve for the r134a system. so as i was messing with it and getting ready to put it in the fitting
i noticed that the new one had a very stiff spring compared to the valve i took out. uh oh. but i stuck it in anyway.
i installed it in the ga and all seemed to work well. still not perfect but at least i don't have a leak. i took out the valve of the
regulator from my sunbeam ga copy and the spring was stiff on it so i guess all is well. so now i will look for some metal
to make a heat/wind baffle like the ones installed in european gga's and see if that helps.
http://www.webergrill.ae/Files/Imag...41068-SHOP10_1141068 AssemblyInstructions.pdf

also found that european charcoal grills have a heat shield that goes on the bottom of the lower housing under the coal grate.
http://www.webergrill.ae/Files/Imag...31004-SHOP10_1131004 AssemblyInstructions.pdf

so onwards and upwards.

I think that the charcoal GA works better than the GGA, which is not one of Webers better ideas. The Q works much better, but does cost more.

Agreed. But since I have 7 of them I think I should try them once in a while. For some reason i just really like the ga. Also in my process of messing around I lost the clip for the regulator. Spent an hour looking for it with no luck. Guess I gotta borrow one from another grill. Hate doing that.

i also used my old sunbeam gas unit and it had a better and hotter flame and did not blow out.
problem is that the rocks tend to unevenly distribute the heat. right now it seems a better unit which saddens me.
thanks,

george

I suggest replacing the lava rocks on the Sunbeam with some ceramic briquettes : http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002OSA5NS/tvwb-20

you should notice a big difference in the heat distribution and reduction in flair ups verses the lava rocks

Back