River Country 2" Thermometer

After determining that my standard Weber Thermometer was at least 10 degrees off after the boiling water test I decided to go with the River Country 2" thermometer for my WSM 18.5. If you don't have one yet get yourself a Unibit from your local hardware store.These bits make it super easy to drill larger holes as the hole gets progressively larger as you drill. Pay attention to your drill size as you progress. I live in Wisconsin, so I went to my local Menard's. I went with the Irwin #1 bit ($17) don't bother with spending double your money for the Cobalt bit, the regular one will be fine. The Irwin #1 goes up to 1/2" for drilling which is recommended for the hole you need to drill in the WSM hood. Find a bit that goes slightly larger than 1/2" for the drill hole and go slightly past 1/2" when completing the drill. The River Country thermometer did not go in after I drilled the recommended hole site, I had to get my dremel out w/stone grinder to enlarge the hole ever so slightly. My modification went better than planned. I also drilled a 1/2" size hole through the Weber thermometer holder bracket to give it a better look. I have pictures but I can't figure out how to attach them here. I will do so after I figure that out.

I just installed the 3" River Country on my 14.5 WSM once I got the 1/2 hole and enlarged slightly I just screwed my thermometer in through the hole and got a nice tight fit then once I had a position to my liking I just put on the washer and tightened the nut.

I got one on mine as well. I put it by the handle strap metal, because I put a second vent lid where the thermometer use to be.

I installed a 2" RC therm on my Jumbo Joe. I removed the bolt & nut from the vent & increased the hole size, with a step drill-bit, in both the lid & vent to accommodate the ¼" NPT thread on the therm. Pushed the therm through the vent and installed the nut on the inside of the lid. Works great.

1y1xrl.jpg

Back