Looking for opinions for DigiQ damper settings

Harry S

I just got a DigiQ DX2 setup for Fathers Day and I'm planning to give it a go tomorrow for a pair of pork butts on my WSM 18"!

My question is with an outdoor temp in the mid 90's, I'm curious what advice anyone can give on what to set (all of) the damper settings to:

- The WSM top damper
- The WSM bottom damper that the pit viper goes through
- The Pit Viper damper

I've been searching around and cannot find anything useful. Likely me poorly searching... :)

I just got a DigiQ DX2 setup for Fathers Day and I'm planning to give it a go tomorrow for a pair of pork butts on my WSM 18"!

My question is with an outdoor temp in the mid 90's, I'm curious what advice anyone can give on what to set (all of) the damper settings to:

- The WSM top damper
- The WSM bottom damper that the pit viper goes through
- The Pit Viper damper

I've been searching around and cannot find anything useful. Likely me poorly searching... :)

- The WSM top damper: WIDE OPEN
- The WSM bottom damper that the pit viper goes through: All dampers stay closed with the exception the fan is hooked up to (plug the other holes).
- The Pit Viper damper: half way or slight more open than that.

I have a 22inch and have it about 20% closed and it works perfectly on my setup. The member I purchased it from ran an 18inch and he said he would have to close it about 40-50%. This is assuming you have the 10cfm fan?

That said, others leave it wide open and still works fine.

The unit will learn your pit so don't stress too much about it.

My experience w/DX2 + 22 WSM is:
Top vent full open
Other 2 bottom vent (not involved in viper fan) totally closed.
The bottom vent involved is all open (just 1 of 4) the other 3 holes are taped.

Enrico, no the member I purchased the unit from stated he would run it this way for an 18inch unit. I have a 22 and run it anywhere from 100% wide open to 20% closed with no issue.

Mac
You wrote you run viper fan 50% open (or closed).
Why ?
Have you compared with 100% open set up ???

Enrico the DigiQ folks recommend the following as starting points.

Closer the vent half way for smaller smokers or low and slow
Close three quarter for cold smoking
Wide open for quick start or high temp grilling

I hope this helps.

Back