~Hinged Door for WSM~

Cool options for those looking for something other than a cb door that you have to set aside when you take it off, I guess.

Last edited:
I actually wish you could order a 22.5 WSM body with no door at all, as i also rarely open mine.

Don't like the look of that. Ugly. :p

Can't remember the last time I opened the door on my 14.5. :confused:

Edit: All the mini builds I've seen don't have doors.

I join the others, never use the door and wish they didn't come with one. Also, this door is about 1/3 the cost of my WSM.

Only use the door to give the coals a "re-arrange" due to uneven burning/dropping temps. In that respect, I'm glad it's there for that reason.

I recommend against doing that. You're just stirring ash that goes straight up to your meat.

I pick the entire upper 2/3 of the WSM off the bottom, set it to the side, stir the coals a good bit, wait for the ash to subside, then place the whole thing back on. I know it's not ideal, but beats the hell outta having ash on your meat.

To be clear, I don't always do it this way, esp if it's a short cook. But I always do for the long ones.

I already have the CB door and that not only looks great, but will last forever. This hinged door does not look good and for the money there are many other things I could get. Would not do it. Also, that hinged door ruins the clean lines of a WSM. Just my 2 cents.

i think i open the door 1 or 2 times in 12 hours of smoking, dont see the point to invest this amount on money is something that will not provide something extra on my smooking process.

Over priced, but a good idea for UDS's.

Not sure how well it would work on UDSs.... a lot of the barrels folks use for UDSs are ribbed.
I can see "fitment" problems for more than a few folks out there.

I've found that adding a quality gasket material to the stock doors for the 18" & 22" work very well for me. Yeah, I probably end up replacing the material about once a year due to the extra workout my cookers get on the competition circuit but that's a very simple fix compared to adding that monster of a door.

I've found that adding a quality gasket material to the stock doors for the 18" & 22" work very well for me. Yeah, I probably end up replacing the material about once a year due to the extra workout my cookers get on the competition circuit but that's a very simple fix compared to adding that monster of a door.

What kind of gasket material do you use? I have some grapho-glas wood stove flat gasket material left over from last year's attempt to fix a Brinkmann. I've thought of using that but was concerned it would offset the door so much it would do more harm than good.

What kind of gasket material do you use? I have some grapho-glas wood stove flat gasket material left over from last year's attempt to fix a Brinkmann. I've thought of using that but was concerned it would offset the door so much it would do more harm than good.

I used the gasket set from www.bbqgaskets.com for my 18.5" and it seals everything great! I believe it's a Nomex gasket. You can check it out and compare.

Back