First go at ribs on my Performer

Ray.S

TVWBB Super Fan
Okay first off I normally smoke on my WSM but this year I replaced my old gas grill and returned to charcoal grilling with a Performer. I wanted the Performer for the table which doubles for my WSM cooking. I also never really do Loinbacks/Babybacks preferring St Louis ribs but our local Krogers had these Loinbacks for $1.77/lb so could not pass that up. I fired up my grill with a Slow N Sear set up just like they said and with the water I was shocked how it locked at 230º.

On the grill for a 3-1-1 cook

I like to pay close attention to my cooking sessions

Opened up after the foil

Just about finished

Cut and ready for plating

All and all I was very pleased. I left them on for another 45min because in my experience with St Louis cut these did not pass the bend test nor did a tooth pick go through easy. I really am not sure if thats a Babyback thing or what. Not as moist as my normal St Louis smoke but lot's of meat on those little bones and the flavor was great. The Performer held it's own with my WSM. My Slow N Sear was totally full and I think it could have

Last edited:
Great looking cook. Too bad they were not as moist as you like, but the best part is that you got great flavor out of them.

The pool pick is perfect! What a way to grill.

Ribs look very good. I'm struggling with perfect ribs on the kettle too. Practice makes perfect

Very nice!!! I like to do ribs on the smoker but was a little pressed for time so I did a rack of spares and a rack of BB's on the grill Friday night and we had a couple over that night and both of them said they were the best ribs they ever had. I can't recall anybody ever saying that to me let alone two people!!!

Good looking ribs right there. Funny... I have a performer, other kettles, & several WSMs - the WSMs see most of the action around here.

Back