Edup ep-ms8512 WIFI adapter not being recognized

Ryan Evans

TVWBB Member
I had to put my HM on the back burner to finish up my BSEE. Now that it is done, I'm trying to finish it up before the 4th of July.

I installed a Edup ep-ms8512 wifi adapter in my rPi and it is not recognizing it (there's no light on the adapter). I installed the adapter in my laptop and got it to work fine so I know that it's OK. I've found people here that claim they've got it working, so I am looking for some guidance as to how.

BTW, I think I had an Edimax in there eons ago, and powered it up if that changed something. Also, I re-imaged my SD card to see if that would fix things. Sadly, it didn't.

Thanks

Just curious and will ask the obvious:
Was the adapter installed before power on?
Regardless of the led can you see an advertised AP (access point) SSID on your phone or laptop?
Have you tried booting the RPi without the PCB attached?
Can you connect an ethernet cable and SSH in via the assigned DHCP address and then try an 'ifconfig' to see if the adapter is recognized?

Best

Just curious and will ask the obvious:
Was the adapter installed before power on?
Yes

Regardless of the led can you see an advertised AP (access point) SSID on your phone or laptop?
No

Have you tried booting the RPi without the PCB attached?
No.

Can you connect an ethernet cable and SSH in via the assigned DHCP address and then try an 'ifconfig' to see if the adapter is recognized?
Yes, here's the result

root@OpenWrt:~# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr B8:27:EB:96:BD:7C
inet addr:192.168.200.1 Bcast:192.168.200.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:9284 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:5674 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:1229181 (1.1 MiB) TX bytes:1238821 (1.1 MiB)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:43260 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:43260 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:2941680 (2.8 MiB) TX bytes:2941680 (2.8 MiB)

root@OpenWrt:~#

Yep, it is not enumerating the adapter. Not sure why without access to test on my own system. I expect someone else will chime in with an idea. Otherwise I will comment more this weekend.

One thing you could do is pull a generic OpenWRT Attitude Ajustment image and see if it recognizes your adapter. I doubt it will since the HM image pulls in additional wifi capabilities.

Last edited:
I don't think this wireless adapter's chipset is supported, there's only the two specific chipsets what there are drivers for in the image: rtl8192cu and the rt5370. A quick google search seems like that's a rtl8188su so neither of these drivers will work.

Refer to the wiki Supported Wireless Adapters for more information.

Back