New Heatermeter, Servo issues

Paully

I am having issues with the servo currently for a damper.

When I have it on manual mode at 0%, I press up on the heatermeter to go to 5%, then the servo will move, but the heater meter seems like it glitches. The LCD dims, percent drops to 0%, the thermocouple temp will drop by 2 degrees, then after a second everything is fine. I can then press it up all the way to 100% and the servo will slowly rotate and the fan ramps up as expected too.

I had issues with the fan running 100% before, so I redid all the soldering for the rj45 and the trs connector that the fan and damper and soldered to.

I've looked for bridged connections on the board. As far as I know there aren't any shorts. Maybe this is just normal for how the servo gets powered up the first time? Any advise would be appreciated. I will gladly add any pictures or videos. I am a bit of an electronics newb, so maybe I over heated a component while soldering?

Thanks for any help.

I am on 4.2.4 for heater meter model, thanks again!

Last edited:
sounds like the servo is drawing current levels high enough to create a brown out. What's your power supply rated for?

I agree with Steve_M. Sound like a power supply issue. If you have a meter, the first thing I would check is the voltage on the power input jack when you first plug it in and when you first try to change the servo position.

I agree with Steve_M. Sound like a power supply issue. If you have a meter, the first thing I would check is the voltage on the power input jack when you first plug it in and when you first try to change the servo position.

Awesome, I will check this out when I get back home from work. My power supply is the one that comes with the HeaterMeter kit from heatermeter.com.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
12v 1amp should be ok. Is the fan from the HM kit as well? What about the servo? What make and model is it?

12v 1amp should be ok. Is the fan from the HM kit as well? What about the servo? What make and model is it?

servo and fan are from the micro damper. Servo is the cheer wing micro 9g sg90 with the following specs:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-x-9G-...ot-Helicopter-Airplane-Car-Boat-/311628131803

3 no-load operating speed: 0.12 seconds / 60 degrees (4.8V); 0.10 sec / 60 degrees (6.0V)
4 Torque:. 1.6kg · cm (4.8V)
7 Operating voltage: 3.5V ~ 6V

then the brushless dc fan:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/delta-electronics/EFB0412VHD/603-1010-ND/1014341
Current Rating 0.120A
Voltage Range 7 ~ 13.8VDC

Here is the power supply that the heater meter page linked to. It wasn't included in a kit though, I misspoke there. Looks like it is getting bad reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B006GEPUYA/tvwb-20

What do you think?

Last edited:
Amazon Link 1
Amazon Link 2

Try these to links. I kind of like Amazon Link 2. From the reviews, it sounds like the transformer could be the issue. I'm lucky in that due to my business I have transformers that work great.

Back