building smoker, looking for a cast iron vent like in kamado type gill

RKHanso

TVWBB Fan
I'm making a smoker out of an old water pressure tank. I'm looking for a nice cast iron top vent like in some of the kamado type grills I've seen (the Char Broil and Akorn Kamado, maybe others) and the only place I found is that Chinese Alibaba website:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...11314.html?spm=a2700.7724857.29.39.AMRO7u&s=p

Does anyone know of an alternate source for something like this? Hopefully around the same price and hopefully from the USA.

vent.PNG

Post a message on the Kamado Joe or EggHead forum. Many people have replaced theirs with the smokeware stainless units and might be willing to sell theirs.

Cheers.

Now I have a vent. Mount it flush or extended up on a pipe?

I did buy a vent from a BGE owner. Going to do some more welding this weekend.

Question now is how to mount it. I could leave it flush at the bottom of the vent to to the top of the smoker. I'd weld a pipe at the top and just set it on it, maybe with some felt to seal it.

Or, I could elevate it somewhat, as shown in the bottom picture.

Is one way better than the other? Higher heat possible with a little taller vent? Or would it have to be really tall to accomplish that.

IMG_20160708_155353.jpg

IMG_20160708_155414.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think you'll see much of a difference with the height.

Are you going to give that cast iron vent an electrolysis bath to clean it up? Should turn out nice.

Back