SMJ vs SMJ Premiium vs. JJ

Julia B.

I am thinking of buying on these cuties for starting my interest in smoking. Which one would be best for smoking? I know some slight mods may need to be made but very interested in giving this a try. Now, I gotta figure out which one to get.

Another idea might be to look for a used WSM on Craigslist. Many here have done that and it keeps the cost way down. Just a thought.

Of the three you listed, I'd go with the JJ. You can set it up for indirect cooking without much effort. Keep in mind that you'll lose a lot of usable grate when doing this, so you'll be a little limited on the size port butt, brisket, rib racks, etc. Nice and portable to. There are also mods, as mentioned above to turn a JJ into a real smoker.
For what it's worth, when I first got into smoking, I used a standard 18" kettle and it did fine, but I soon realized that I needed more room and upgraded to a Smokey Mountain. If you're looking to start out on the cheap, there a usually quite a few used kettles out there for well under $50.
Whichever way you go, don't hesitate to ask if you have questions and happy smoking!

After reading Bob's post, I decided to checkout Craigslist. There is a lady selling a WSM for 100.00. She sent pics and it looks GREAT. Going to look at it now. Thank you a million times over Bob!! Keeping my fingers crossed it works out.

Julia

If you can get a bona fide WSM for $100, get it! That being said, the JJ can do a respectable high heat (275-300) smoke. I've done small butts (6-7#), spare ribs (cut in half & in a rack), eye round and chuck roasts in mine. You don't have the same capacity as the WSM or a 22" kettle, but it can certainly be done, and it's very portable.

While not cheaper than 100.00 find on CL, you can get a Cajun Bandit stacker to go with the JJ. By the way its all stainless steel!!!!!!!!!!!!

After reading Bob's post, I decided to checkout Craigslist. There is a lady selling a WSM for 100.00. She sent pics and it looks GREAT. Going to look at it now. Thank you a million times over Bob!! Keeping my fingers crossed it works out.

Julia
Did you get the WSM ?

Back