Would You Pay $350 for this Grill

RMcCormick

TVWBB Member
My old Costco gas grill bit the dust, and I decided to go old school and purchase a Weber 22" kettle. LOVE IT. Having a blast with my first charcoal grill. Anyway, there are time I would still like to have a gas grill for convince. That being said, I will never buy another non-Weber gas grill. I found this grill on my local Craigslist. It's a brand new never used Genesis Silver C. He said he would do $350. Is it worth $350, or am I better just buying a Genesis Silver of the same vintage that is well used for $75-$150, and put a little money into it with whatever new parts it needs to bring it up to speed? Thanks for your help.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/for/5583739189.html

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/for/5603028315.html

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/for/5599095580.html

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/for/5598982578.html

*UPDATE Grill has been purchased...Please come on over here http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?655...t-Spruce-Up-quot&p=726323&posted=1#post726323 and give me your 2 cents!*

Last edited:
I think I would take window number 2 at $150 over the new condition @ $350.
Damn those grills hold out well in AZ.
They rust to pieces in the Houston area.

If there's no rust/rot on door #3, I'd jump all over that. $75 for a nice weber is pretty awesome.

Thanks for the quick replies. That was my general gut feeling, but my knowledge is pretty limited so I wanted to make sure I wasn't passing up some amazing deal. I'm going to look at both the other ones today, and go with which ever one is in the best shape.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I would take window number 2 at $150 over the new condition @ $350.
Damn those grills hold out well in AZ.
They rust to pieces in the Houston area.

The heat out here is a *****, but I love the 14% humidity.

You can't go wrong with ANY of those you listed. Weber should buy the first one for their headquarters. Or maybe a Weber dealer would like to display it alongside the new stuff. It would be a shame to use it.

Any of the others are fine. Personally, I like the $150 one because of the side burner. The $75 appears to be a fantastic deal, and the Gold C is pretty sweet as well.

I WISH WE HAD CHOICES LIKE THAT DOWN HERE!

I just looked at the $75 one. It was okay. Inside was rough, but that's to be expected. It was a lot more rough than the pictures looked. Also, let it run for 10 minutes or so at high, and didn't feel the least bit hot. Guess it needs needs new burner tubes. Again, I know a 13-15 year old grill is gonna need some work. I don't mind replacing parts as much as I mind insides that were never cleaned once in 15 years. Heading to see the $150 one next.

I just looked at the $75 one. It was okay. Inside was rough, but that's to be expected. It was a lot more rough than the pictures looked. Also, let it run for 10 minutes or so at high, and didn't feel the least bit hot. Guess it needs needs new burner tubes. Again, I know a 13-15 year old grill is gonna need some work. I don't mind replacing parts as much as I mind insides that were never cleaned once in 15 years. Heading to see the $150 one next.

That could also mean it needs a new regulator/hose. My Genesis 1000 wasn't getting hot and the solution was the regulator/hose. Once replaced, I get over 500 deg. Good luck.

Now that you mention it I do remember reading something about that. Also something or other about a reset procedure for the regulator. Either way. Gonna need something. Thanks
That could also mean it needs a new regulator/hose. My Genesis 1000 wasn't getting hot and the solution was the regulator/hose. Once replaced, I get over 500 deg. Good luck.

Yep, if,number three is not AFU and rusted, that is a Christmas in May gift! The second one would be my next choice.
Now, if I ever find,one like that within fifty miles of me, I will be on it like smoke on pork!

Nope. There was not a spot of rust on it. Just dirty as all get out. I don't think the guy cleaned the inside once in the 15 years he's had it. Assuming they are both in the same condition I think I will go with the $75 one cause I can use the other $75 for parts. Also can't ever see myself using that side burner. Thanks for the reply.
Yep, if,number three is not AFU and rusted, that is a Christmas in May gift! The second one would be my next choice.
Now, if I ever find,one like that within fifty miles of me, I will be on it like smoke on pork!

Wise move grasshopper! Use the money for a hose and regulator, some elbow grease, and you will have a friend for years!
Just got the TBS trickling from the kettle for a "Thanks for helping" dinner. Warmer than normal but,not as warm as you have it... Humidity is another issue, it's a bit ugly here for this time of year. 54% and 83 degrees, sticky to be kind about it

I would go for the $75 one. I've rehabbed about a half dozen of the earlier Genesis series 1000s and just picked up a 3000 for $40 and put my own 1000 grill into the 3000 frame eliminated the side burner for a shelf making it a 2000.
For $75 and maybe $75-100 in parts you'll have a great grill that you can't an equivalent grill for twice the price.
Even up here in the high country of AZ rust isn't allowed;)

DSCN2418_zpsrc9hcpso.jpg

What do you do with the old frame? Make a plant cart for the wife of course.
DSCN2646_zpsqwohskch.jpg

Last edited:

Back