Cook Temp for Sausage

Most sausages can be cooked at any reasonable temperature. I usually use 275-300 but if I was already cooking something else at a different temperature and want to throw on a few sausages I would not hesitate to do so. . It's the internal temp when done that you want to pay attention to. For pork sausage I shoot for 150 minimum, usually more like 155 but never higher than 160.

225 to 250. They cook fast. I feel like if you cook them at too high a temp you'll probably overcook them if you aren't paying attention.

I'm okay with either Carl or Dustin's ranges, but the way I tell they're done is when I can see the juices simmering inside the casing, before the casings burst. They're still good after that, but I try to pull them before the juices squirt.

Sausages are great on the WSM.....I like the greater distance between the heat source, not having to watch or turn them, and of course the smoke ring they usually get.

I wasn't trying to contradict Carl. That cook temp is fine. I'm just saying goes what works for me. If I cook them too hot I get distracted and find them after they've gone nuclear.

I cook Italian sausage regularly. I go higher heat, with a chunk, INDIRECT. 20-30 mins or two beers. One of my favorite go to meals.

Thanks for the input, everyone. They turned out well given the circumstances.

There was a torrential downpour right when I put them on and the heavy rain lasted 1.5 hours. Wind and the rain ruined temp. This was actually my first smoke on the WSM and wasn't sure how much charcoal I should start with. Opted for half a chimney which wasn't enough; I was around 200-210 the entire smoke. Regardless, they turned out relatively well, juicy, tender, OK bite from the casing and an apparent smoke ring. I'll post a pic in the AM.

I was around 200-210 the entire smoke. Regardless, they turned out relatively well, juicy, tender, OK bite from the casing and an apparent smoke ring. I'll post a pic in the AM.

The good thing about brats -- and any other fresh sausage for that matter -- is that you can smoke them at 200 or grill them at 400 and they will be delicious (albeit in different ways). Carl has a good suggestion above -- just toss them on when you're cooking something else and take them off when the internal temp says they are done.

Back