Noob question.

ScottMiller

So my wife had a buddy of mine build me a HM for my birthday. I have since set it up to run on my home wifi via Wireless Client Setup via Web Config step-by-step on the github page. I am very new at this whole programing part. So my question is when I first got the HM I could search for WIFI devices on my phone and my HM would come up as an option. Since switching it over to be on my home WIFI I can no longer connect just to my HM with out WIFI. I am bringing my smoker along camping this weekend and would like to use the HM away from home with no WIFI connection and am wondering if somebody could lead me in the right direction on what settings to change. Not sure if I need to put it in Access Point mode or what setting need to be changed like I said all of this is new to me and would greatly appreciate any help at all. :smilekettle:

In access point mode you can connect directly to the HM as if it were a wifi router, in client mode the HM connects to your wifi router and you can no longer connect to the HM directly, you have to connect through the wifi network.
As for doing both, that hasn't been as simple as one would hope, but you have a few options. You can change the HM from client mode to AP mode but then you have to change it back to connect to your wifi when you get home. You could get a second wifi dongle and configure one for client mode and one for AP mode and switch them out depending on the mode you want. I have also heard some say they were able to get things to function with two wifi dongles installed, one for AP and the other for client mode, though I can't really confirm that. The other option would be to pack up and take your wifi router with you when you travel, this way your HM and you phone/tablet/pc will connect to the wifi router as if you were still at home. They wont have internet connection but you will still be able to connect to the HM, and this should also increase the range of access to the HM a bit.

In access point mode you can connect directly to the HM as if it were a wifi router, in client mode the HM connects to your wifi router and you can no longer connect to the HM directly, you have to connect through the wifi network.
As for doing both, that hasn't been as simple as one would hope, but you have a few options. You can change the HM from client mode to AP mode but then you have to change it back to connect to your wifi when you get home. You could get a second wifi dongle and configure one for client mode and one for AP mode and switch them out depending on the mode you want. I have also heard some say they were able to get things to function with two wifi dongles installed, one for AP and the other for client mode, though I can't really confirm that. The other option would be to pack up and take your wifi router with you when you travel, this way your HM and you phone/tablet/pc will connect to the wifi router as if you were still at home. They wont have internet connection but you will still be able to connect to the HM, and this should also increase the range of access to the HM a bit.

Yep. I use 2 wifi dongles.One set up in AP mode and one with my home wifi. Works like a charm. When the HM boots, it always shows the AP address (192.168.201.1) but with my HM set with a static IP with the other dongle, I always know the address for my home wifi connection. This setup has never failed me.

I have an extra router setup at my house that is used strictly for my HeaterMeter. I use one of those small travel routers - they go on sale at slickdeals about once a month for like $10. When I leave the house with my HM I take the router with me. The router is smaller than my heatermeter and doesn't require a power adapter so it's super easy to deal with. When I get on location I just plug the travel router in to any outlet and I'm good to go.

So I go under configuration, network, wifi, then edit and change from client to access point? Do I need to change anything under the network section under mode? I cannot pick up the HM when it is in access point. I've read a few other threads about this and can't get it to work.

When your HM is in AP mode you need to scan with a wifi device for wireless networks, you should see a wireless network called HEATERMETER, connect to that AP. The HM will not be connected to your network, it will be a network of its own (its own hotspot so to speak).

When your HM is in AP mode you need to scan with a wifi device for wireless networks, you should see a wireless network called HEATERMETER, connect to that AP. The HM will not be connected to your network, it will be a network of its own (its own hotspot so to speak).

The blue lights on my WIFI dongle do not light up when I'm in AP mode. When I am in client mode it does light up. I have scanned and Nothing comes up as heatermeter. Is the ESSID still supposed to be my router name? If you could give me step by step on how you switch yours over I could maybe give that a try?

You are not connecting to your router at all when the HM is in AP mode, you are connecting to the HM as if IT were the router/access point. Put your HM in AP mode, reboot it, then scan with your phone for available wifi networks and you should see HEATERMETER, connect to it...

Back