Something went wrong with my trusty HM build, fan output stays on always.

Riku Naskali

TVWBB Member
Hi there,

I don't know what happened, was doing a warm up on BGE and left for a while. When I came back it had massively overshot the set temp, checked everything and the fan was blowing at full force even though HM said 0% output!

At first I thought it was software issue, so I reinstalled everything, but no luck.

Any idea where to start debugging the hardware side? I'm not so handy at electronics, however I know how to use a multimeter and such...

Servo output seems to be also faulty, servo doesn't move at all at any settings... I think my hardware is 4.x, anyway it's the older version without thermocouple support etc..

Post some high res pics of both the front and back of the board.

Sounds like something is bridged and allowing 12v to flow directly to the blower.

Perhaps you have the servo power/output wired to the fan instead of fan power? I had an issue with a fan that while controllable, would never fully turn off. It was wired incorrectly through ethernet.

I'll snap some pics of the board and check the fan power connections. Wiring is good, it's been running fine several months through ethernet. I also checked the connectors and they seemed fine...

I'll snap some pics of the board and check the fan power connections. Wiring is good, it's been running fine several months through ethernet. I also checked the connectors and they seemed fine...

Okay there definitely seems to be something weird going on with the fan outputs, when I try to measure the voltage from the ground and fan output + pins, the Heatermeter loses power and reboot itself.

Well, this seems to be solved, somewhat.

The problem ended up being a combination of two things:

1) bad wiring to the fan, probably due to bad rj45 connector. After I sorted that out, the fan works perfectly.

2) most likely the servo is broken, it behaves very weird. Sometimes it turns, sometimes not, and sometimes it just spins around many revolutions... Can't test this right now since I don't have more servos on hand.

If you hooked up the servo incorrectly even for a moment it is fried. Had this happen to me a before.

david

Well, this seems to be solved, somewhat.

The problem ended up being a combination of two things:

1) bad wiring to the fan, probably due to bad rj45 connector. After I sorted that out, the fan works perfectly.

2) most likely the servo is broken, it behaves very weird. Sometimes it turns, sometimes not, and sometimes it just spins around many revolutions... Can't test this right now since I don't have more servos on hand.

Back