One-touch cleaner from original Kettle for WSM?

Dan.Trainor

I have a 22" Weber Kettle that I recently put a new one-touch cleaner in to. You know, the handle on the bottom which rotates and scoots ash and unmentionables in to vents on the bottom to clean the kettle out

Weber 7443 18-1/2-Inch One-Touch Cleaning System Kit for Grills http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B005LVAOHW/tvwb-20

I am in absolute love with my WSM 18.5" but even in the Arizona sun, sometimes I have a problem keeping a higher (250-275F) temperature and I can't help but think that this is due to how much ash accumulates on the bottom - or at least, this is a major contributing factor.

Has anyone tried to fit a One-Touch kit in to a WSM? I don't have a 18.5" kettle so I can't test how well the blade angles would work in the WSM, but if I don't see any replies on this thread in the next few days I'll give it a shot by ordering one and doijg some drilling and grinding, and report!

I would not do that. You will get much better temperature control with the daisy wheel vents.

Get a plastic auto body filler "spatula" for scraping out stubborn ash buildup.

If you are using water in the water pan, you will have difficulty attaining higher temps in the cooker. Water is a heat sink & will keep your temps low.
Quit using water & foil the water pan.

Better yet.... ditch the water pan & cook direct.

Dan, I don't have any problem maintaining high temps in my 18.5" WSM. I don't use water in the pan, but I DO use the pan - I just foil over it to make cleanup easier as Robert-R suggests. I've (accidentally!) gone over 375˚F with it, but on high heat pork butts I maintain 300-330˚F. It shouldn't be a problem going lower by adjusting the vents.

As far as ash is concerned, I tap the legs for the first few hours, but later in the cook I'll slide a chopstick in the holes of the vents to help clear stubborn ash and increase air flow.

I don't have any trouble running 250 275 for 6-7 hours without doing anything on my 18.5 WSM. I might have to add fuel after that, but ash has never been a problem and I use KBB.

Back