First Cook on WSCG - Pork Shoulder

WB Zipf

TVWBB Pro
Ok, so while this will be my first cook on the WSCG, I did fire it up last night. Using just the charcoal baskets and the fuel grate at the grill setting (higher elevation), I lit it up. It took about 10 minuets of having the gas assist on before the charcoal started really going. It then, with vents wide open, proceeded to reach temperatures in excess of 600 F before I backed the bottom vent down to the smoke setting and closed the top vent 1/2 way. Now this only brought the temps down to the 450 range before I had to shut it down completely (had to go to my Daughter's science fair).

One thing I noted is that my Rapidfire lid damper, was moving easy before the cook. After it got up to 600 F, it began to "stick" meaning it took much more effort to rotate the daisy wheel. I thought this was due to thermal expansion, but once the grill completely cooled I still noticed this. I wrote to Weber this morning to see if this was common and if there was some maintenance I should do to bring it back to its original ease of use.

Ok, now on to the cook. First, you must understand that this is not a Performer, nor is it a WSM. This is its own beast! I am learning that it operates quite differently ( as was expected, but not fully anticipated). I will go into more detail about what I mean as I describe this first cook.

I started the cook this morning around 6:30, when I first salted my 13 lb pork shoulder. I went outside to start the fire. I removed the charcoal baskets, lowered the fuel grate to the bottom level and began putting the coals and the wood together:

2016-05-14%2006.48.05_zpsfo1hhhle.jpg

Next, I remembered what Tony R did, which was to put foil on the defuser plate, to keep it clean. I like easy to clean, so I followed his example and placed it in the bowl.

2016-05-14%2006.48.21_zps6odjilbc.jpg

Ok, here is where things get interesting. I started up the gas assist, and remembering my experience from the previous night but trying to account for the fuel being on the lower grate and closer to the burner, I turned on the gas for 5 minuets. While it was going, I went back in side and applied Oakridge's Competition Beef and Pork rub to the shoulder. It took about 5 minuets and when I came back out to check on the fire, it was really going (lots of smoke), and the grill was already up to 125F. I shut the Rapidfire lid damper to 1/2 and put the bottom vent on the smoke setting, just to the left. I am targeting between 250 f and 275 f. Well, the temp really took off on me. It just kept climbing and climbing, no reduction in the vent openings seemed to make a difference. It climbed all the way up to 340 f, before I had to take my Son to a school function. Before leaving, I clamped down on the vents leaving just the slightest openings thinking that when I came back It would be down below 275. Wrong! I returned after 1 hour with the temp at 425 F. I was totally confused, so I shut the grill down completely, it took about 45 minuets to fall down to 260 F, at which time I put the meat in and opened the Rapidfire lid damper 1/4 and the bottom vents to 1/2 way between smoke and shut off.

2016-05-14%2010.09.22_zpslk4dhqqz.jpg

After putting the meat on the temp fell to 215F, but then started to slowly rise. This time I watched it intently, made adjustments, and after about 30 minuets, I got it settled between 257 -265F. That is where it is now and has been there for the last hour. So what went wrong initially? I suspect I kept the gas assist on for two long. I further suspect that once you allow a certain level of fire going it is somewhat self sustaining as the draft it creates is maintained even when the vents are closed substantially. Next time, when I see the temperature excursions that I saw this morning, I will be quick to shut the vents completely until I get the grill down below my set temperature, and then slowly bring it back.

Anyway, this has been my experience so far. I will continue to post as I get through my cook.

Excellent information. Thanks Zipf for taking the time to share. Myself and I'm sure many others are looking forward to your coming post.
Bill

The fuel is only inches from the grate so it'll be more sensitive. It is strange if you only were inside for 5 min and using briquettes.

That is one beautiful grill. I'm sure you'll quickly nail the operation down. Good luck with this first smoke. Will be following.

Ok, well dispite the early trouble keeping temps, everything turned out fine with my cook. After I got the temperature settled around 260, I let it cook for a total of 3 hours (up to 142 f) at which time I added a little chicken broth to the bottom of the pan and foiled. I also stirred up the coals, added a couple scoops more of coal, and let it the WSCG get up to 274 f. That is when the magic began. Once it hit 274 f, it litterly stayed within +/- 1 degree for the next 3 hours. The temperature of the meat climbed fast and after the 3 hours my Maverick was reading 202f. I placed my thermal pen in a couple spots and found it read about 190 f. I then put the Maverick in the spot where the thermal pen read 190 f and let that spot get up to 202 f, it didn't take that long. I did question the done eas of the meat, but everyone was hungry so I pulled it and let it rest, tented, for about 30 minuets. These are the results:

image_zpszh74b5dz.jpeg

image_zpsfcsb0jqg.jpeg

All in all the cook went well. The meat was a bit under done (some parts fell off the bone, other areas required some pull) but it tasted good on a sandwich.

I learned a lot in this first cook! The three things I love most about the WSCG are: 1) How stable the WSCG held temperature, once it was dialed in! 2) the level of precision that the Rapid damper lid allows you to dial in temperatures. 3) the real estate, I mean I have never owned a grill/ smoker that I could place a full size reasurant pan in. That is way cool as I like to cook in the disposable pans, they keep the mess in the grill to a minimum.

Sounds like this was a great learn tool for you and the results were not that bad either i would force down a sandwich of that. Keep the info coming so the rest of us get the fever and buy one of these too.

Good info there WBZ. Looks to me that you're well on the way to taming this beast. Practice make perfect.
Nice looking shoulder too.

Thanks, everyone! I think for my next cook I will be looking to reverse sear something. You know get a little two zone cooking action going on.

Beautiful looking pork, I love to see this grill in action! I have to live vicariously thru you guys, because it's out of my price range.

Thanks for the in-depth tour of your Summit Charcoal, WB! Your results speak for themselves. Keep the pics coming!

Back