CyberQ on the way

Bill French

TVWBB Fan
Finally pulled the trigger on a CyberQ yesterday after much deliberation. Can't wait for it to arrive and set up. These ATC systems aren't required to get great BBQ out of the WSM but it sure is going to be nice to set it up for a low and slow cook while I get some much needed sleep. I'll report back after I get a few hours with it under my belt.

I had narrowed my decision down to the CyberQ and the Stoker II. Stoker is more expensive and comes with fewer probes but it does have an Ethernet port which I would have liked. The deciding factor for me was the warranty. 2 years for the CyberQ, only 1 for the Stoker. I also looked at the FlameBoss and while it is easier to setup for remote monitoring since you're using their servers, what if they go out of business some day? Just my 2 cents on that.

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to your report back with a review. I'm interested in getting an ATC also and have been leaning toward the cyberq.

I just ordered mine last night. Caught a "warehouse deal" on Amazon last night. So I pulled the trigger. Never used an ATC on my 18" for the last 14-15 years.
Picked up the 22" 3 weeks for more space on bigger cooks.
Planning cooking two 15# or larger Briskets midnight on the 21st for a cookout we are having, so I like the idea of watching the temps from my phone with the cyberq. See how this little toy works.

Don't think I'll spring for the CB, I've never seen smoke escape from the door (lucky I guess). I did recently order the gasket kit though. I've already setup a wireless repeater out in my detached "smoke house". Memorial Day weekend this year should result in many full bellies.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about ordering a Digiq DX2 today for long cooks. I have been using Maverick 733 and probably will still use it with the Digiq so I can see the temps remotely indoors.

Will all four probes fit through the silicone grommet on my 22.5" WSM?

If not, what are the best places to run the probes? Would it make sense to order the BBQ Guru Eyelet Kit.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about ordering a Digiq DX2 today for long cooks. I have been using Maverick 733 and probably will still use it with the Digiq so I can see the temps remotely indoors. Will all four probes fit through the silicone grommet on my 22.5" WSM? If not, what are the best places to run the probes? Would it make sense to order the BBQ Guru Eyelet Kit.

I ran Eyelets. Ordered them when I ordered my CB door.

- - - Updated - - -

CyberQ arrived today (Amazon Prime)

Wifi was easy to set up. iPhone app worked good too. Wait and see how it goes during my cook.

Thanks Matt. I have been thinking about the Cyberq but not sure if I would use it enough to justify the extra $100 plus dollars. It makes it a tougher decision hearing you say the Wifi was an easy set up.

The CyberQ was delivered yesterday. Setup was super easy, I had it up and talking both inside and outside of my network in under 30 minutes. The gasket kit also arrived yesterday and I'll get them installed in a couple days. Now I have to decide what I'll cook this weekend for my initial cook with the CyberQ, I'm thinking ribs! This is going to be fun!

These ATC systems aren't required to get great BBQ out of the WSM but it sure is going to be nice to set it up for a low and slow cook while I get some much needed sleep.

True, they're not required, and while some claim they take the fun out of the process, I'll gladly trade fun for restful sleep. :wsm:

Used my cyberQ today to cook 4 slabs of STL cut ribs. Very impressed. I actually had a call that one of ,y trucks brakes went out out when I fired up the smoker. So I threw the 4 slabs in it at 175 and had it set for 245. I got back 2 hours later. It was chugging along at 245.
Very impressed. No touch!

I fired up the CyberQ this past Saturday to cook up some baby back ribs, beef ribs and pork sausages. I must say that it does work as advertised, great temp control and easy to setup and use. I bought the Pit Pal Pro app and it worked great with the CyberQ. The only things to really figure out are the damper controls. I was shooting for 275* and found that I needed to have the damper on the Pit Viper wide open and the top vent on the WSM wide open. I assume when I'm ready to do an overnight cook at 225*, I may need to close those dampers off a bit.

Back