New, (UK), Weber Briquettes. (2016)

TonyUK

TVWBB Guru
Just saw these on sale at my Weber accessory supplier.
The "pillows" look similar to Kingsford.
I've ordered a bag and will try them this weekend. I'll stick up a review after.
Anyone else used these? Thoughts?

kbw400.jpg

Hi Tony
they light really quickly - and you should start to use them AS they start to turn white - do not wait until all white.
don't last quite as long as the old style - but great for grilling.

for low n slow cooks - I've heard you should start with less than you would normally

Cheers for the info Chris.

Have you used them for low n slow? If so, whaddya think?

I'm having a hard time seeing past Aussie Heat Beads. (Just had 32 kgs, (70 lbs), delivered today). :rolleyes:

Bob. Yep, I just saw that. Thanks.

It says on the bag that it is produced in the European Union. I like the re-sealable water-proof bag too.

not tried slow yet - still have a supply of the old white bags :)
will be doing some team cook testing tomorrow with them - so will report back

^^
Cheers Chris. Stick up your test results here mate.
I've got a 7 lb boneless pork shoulder, currently marinading in a SPOG/Chopped Coriander/Chopped Garlic/EVOO mush, for a smoke early doors tomorrow. I'm staying with the Aussie Heat Beads, for now, coz I know where I'm at.

Last edited:
Thanks Enrico. Good news. Hoping Chris gets back to us with a review, as he's doing a test cook with them today.
Gonna break them out next weekend, along with the vortex on the 22" kettle, for a shed load of wings 'n' thighs & pork belly slices.
Started a smoke with a boneless pork shoulder at 08:30 this morning.

Tony,

I have taken delivery of several 8kg (17.5lb) bags of the new Weber briquettes this year.

I find they light very easily compared with Aussie Heat Beads (my previous favourite)

The last a good time too, though maybe not as long as AHBs. No scientific data to back that up.

I have used them from grilling and in the WSM.

Compared to the Big K restaurant grade lumpwood I have used for grilling they do leave a lot of ash.

Also if I shutdown the kettle or WSM the partly burnt briqs are quite crumbly

The packaging is excellent. It is strong, waterproof and has a resealable opening. I do struggle to get it reseal properly but it's not really a problem.

Best price I could find is Gardens4less @ £10.79, free delivery. http://www.garden4less.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=17598

0A461CBD-C833-47C3-9B3E-F4CCA2CCB5B9_zpsc66kox9o.jpg

Thanks for that Gary. Nice one.

I still haven't used the new briqs yet, as I've got a ton of Aussie Heat Beads here. And they're great to cook with.

The original Weber briqs also left a lot of ash. Couldn't re-use the partially burnt briqs as I found they were very crumbly after shutting down the cooker. But saying that, I found them good to cook with.

Last edited:
I used these for the first time the other day in the vortex. These things burn HOT!!
It appeared that there was less smoke going on whilst firing them up in the chimney.
Haven't used them yet for L&S. Still got about 60lbs of Aussie Heat Beads to get through. :p

http://www.bbqworld.co.uk/heat-beads.asp

£5.94 for 4kg bag + another 15% off at checkout brings them down to £5.05 - code Clear15
Free next day delivery for orders over £50
That looks unbeatable at the moment.

Thanks Gary for the heads-up!

I've struggled to find good quality and fairly price coal lately, for a looong time I used some Aldi briquettes bags they were selling for £2.89 for a 5kg bag, needless to say I bought most of my local store stock and it lasted me a while but I've run dry lately, currently cooking with Big K black briquettes and Red lump bags I get from Waitrose but I might pull e trigger on some Aussie Heat Beads soon.

Jules

Back