New bird sighting

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
The Rose-breasted Grosbeak is only a migrant through our area, and today was my first ever sighting of one.
I'm super excited!

IMGP3335.JPG

IMGP3326-001.JPG

edit to add a goldfinch in full bloom.

IMGP3355.JPG

Last edited:
Bob, your bird shots always look great! Are you using a tripod, or are they hand held?

Thanks everyone!
Bob, your bird shots always look great! Are you using a tripod, or are they hand held?

All handheld.
Shot through open mini-blinds inside 2 panes of glass in the door to the deck.
Grosbeak on the feeder and goldfinch with a 300mm, middle grosbeak pic at 135mm with a 18-135 lens.
All heavily cropped.

Awesome pics Bob!! I want to put out some feeders too but we have a indoor/outdoor cat living with us.

Awesome pics Bob!! I want to put out some feeders too but we have a indoor/outdoor cat living with us.

Have kind of the same problem, Whitney our foster pup is part coyote and has phenomenal hunting skills. She would hang around under the feeders or the bird bath and when the birds took off from the feeders or the bird bath she would jump about 5-6 feet straight up and snag them in flight. No more feeders and moved the bird bath so it's harder for her to jump now.

Fantastic photos, Bob! I've forwarded them on.

Howard, our annual hummingbird papa (I'd like to think he is still "our" Harold) who favors the North Feeder which is in front of my computer, came knocking on my window a few days ago. As he was hovering, he had that stare right into my eyeballs, AKA "We're here. Where's the grub?" The grub went out there today. Sorry, Harold. you are a few days early this year but we're up to speed now and are looking forward to meeting the little ladies.

Rita, et al

Last edited:
Thanks again everyone!

Rita,
Had a female hummer buzz my red thistle feeder late this evening looking for dinner.
I'll have some out for her tomorrow.

The Rose-breasted Grosbeak is only a migrant through our area, and today was my first ever sighting of one.
I'm super excited!

IMGP3335.JPG

IMGP3326-001.JPG

We get grosbeaks from time to time but never with any real consistency. I mix black oil sunflower seed, sunflower hearts, and safflower seed and they do seem to like it.

The only interesting bird I saw today was a turkey vulture enjoying a lunch of possum ala pavement...

Back