I like my WSM 18" better w/o the BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2

WB Zipf

TVWBB Pro
Ok, so before we go any farther, I love my BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2, but it has its place and time.

For me that place and time is for long overnight cooks. You know, big meat like brisket and pork shoulders.

For things like ribs, chickens, and turkeys (which I like to cook hot and fast), I prefer my WSM without the DigiQ. The main reason is getting it all set up, plugging in all the wires, running the extension cord, etc.

My big complaint is that you can't easily go from running with the DigiQ to running without it, since you need to seal the other two open air intake holes with aluminum tape. For this reason, I hope Weber comes out with a modification to the WSM that includes a port like the one they have in the WSCG.

I suppose I could drill my own port, but I hesitate to do that since it will create an exposed section of metal that without the enamel protection would begin to rust.

Anyone else have a similar experiance?

Sounds like problem solved already, but I have had no issue running mine manually just controlling the other two vents. For higher heat cooks, I just start with more lit charcoal.

yeah i mean i was gonna say i know with confidence if i wanted to not run my digiq dx2 on my 14.5 i could quite easily by just plugging the blower adaptor with the suppied plug and using the two other vents i normally keep closed because typically for most/all temps two vents cracked is enough to maintain it but personally i dont see the hassle in using the DigiQ but then again i have power near my bbq so its always simply plug everything in after tossing in the starter charcoal and sit back and relax so.

Last edited:
I smoked 2 years with the DigiQ on my WSM and recently sold it returning my WSM to the way I bought it. My reasons were the setup as mentioned and I like engaging with the smoker more. The Q was great for overnight smokes but the WSM holds close enough by itself. I like cooking in a smoker not an oven.

yeah i mean i was gonna say i know with confidence if i wanted to not run my digiq dx2 on my 14.5 i could quite easily by just plugging the blower adaptor with the suppied plug and using the two other vents i normally keep closed because typically for most/all temps two vents cracked is enough to maintain it but personally i dont see the hassle in using the DigiQ but then again i have power near my bbq so its always simply plug everything in after tossing in the starter charcoal and sit back and relax so.

You know, I hadn't even thought of just using the two vents and plugging the third. The biggest reason is that in the beginning of using my DigiQ, I had to seal off the other two vents as they leaked air and I was getting significant temperature excursions when using the DigiQ. Now I have removed the tape, and I have the plugs, so I should be able to be more flexible like you suggest.

I smoked 2 years with the DigiQ on my WSM and recently sold it returning my WSM to the way I bought it. My reasons were the setup as mentioned and I like engaging with the smoker more. The Q was great for overnight smokes but the WSM holds close enough by itself. I like cooking in a smoker not an oven.

Well, you hit it exactly. Now I am not ready to get rid of my DigiQ, but rather use it more sparingly (for the overnight cooks).

yeah you have to make sure you don't have any major leaks or temp controllers don't work too well. i put nomex gaskets on my door and lid before i even got my DigiQ and i have no major sealing issues with the bottom vents or middle section to bottom from the factory so mine is very stable with temps using it, the only thing that can cause me hassle is if its windy but even then i have figured out how to compensate for mildly windy conditions by making sure i am the blowers intake and the lid vent opposite of the wind and sometimes have to tell it to run slightly hotter than my desired target (+10 degrees) if its struggling to keep at temp due to the wind but i mean in general i like the fact that I can just toss the charcoal in put it all together turn the controller on and walk away for 20 min knowing full well ill be at my desired temp rock solid in that time frame with no hassle of vent adjustments but thats just me. :)

I don't want my food cooked by a robot.

images

A three sided cinderblock wall is my temp control. I f doing a overnight cook I just run the bottom vents little less open than I would if watching it. Better to low of temp than to high. Going to do a butt and a few racks of spares tonight. Butt going on at 9 tonight. spares about 1 in the morning. Ive been on a diet starting last dec and for the first time in 20 years I'm under 200 lbs. Was up to 255 at one time and 245 when diet started. My plan is simple. Eat healthy 6 days a week. Fire up the smoker for the free day. Man I feel so much better!!! Going to try for some pics with wifes help of tonights cook and my hillbilly bbq pit. Peace!.

Last edited:

Back