Converting 22.5" Original Kettle Grill to WSM???

steveD

TVWBB Fan
My mind has been wondering while eating lunch... The ID of a 55 gallon drum is 22.5". My kettle diameter is 22.5". Are the 'true' dimensions close enough to be able to use a 55 gallon drum to convert my kettle grill into a WSM? My thinking is that I could pick up a cheap drum, cut it down to ~16" or so tall, add a door from Cajun Bandit to the bottom, and a couple of bolts/studs to hold teh grates in place and I'd have a 2-level smoker. Are there any terrible pitfalls with this plan? Obviously, the actual height would be determined once I actually have the door and drum and can lay it out so I have enough room to manipulate coals and/or water pan, but still have enough room to get 2 racks of cooking surface going...

16" will be way too short, especially with the shallower base of a kettle. Once you put a big enough drum on your kettle, I don't think you will be able to reach the lid ( besides it would be stupid top heavy.) IF you were going to convert it to a full time smoker, you could shorten the legs.....

Back