SMTP settings

Marc Strickland

TVWBB Member
I'm trying to get email and SMS notifications working. What am I missing? I have an ASUS RT-AC68P router. My Heatmeter is on a static IP of 192.168.2.225
Anyone that has set this up that could lend a hand that would be great.

Network setup on HeatMeter

IPv4 address 192.168.2.225
IPv4 netmask 255.255.255.0
IPv4 gateway 192.168.2.1
IPv4 broadcast 192.168.2.255
Disable DHCP for this interface is checked.

SMTP Email Client

Server Host smtp.gmail.com
Server Port 465
Email Myemail@gmail.com
Requires Auth Checked
Account User Name Myemail@gmail.com
Account password mypassword
Enable TLS/SSL encryption Checked
Use STARTTLS unchecked
Verify server cert unchecked

From system log

Jan 4 06:25:55 OpenWrt user.warn lucid[561]: Alarm 1H started ringing
Jan 4 06:25:55 OpenWrt user.notice lmalarm: Sending email from HeaterMeter <XXXX@gmail.com> to Marc Strickland <XXXX@gmail.com>
Jan 4 06:25:55 OpenWrt user.notice lmalarm: sendmail: cannot locate host smtp.gmail.com: Name or service not known
Jan 4 06:25:55 OpenWrt user.notice lmalarm: sendmail: could not send mail (account default from /etc/msmtprc)
Jan 4 06:25:55 OpenWrt user.notice lmalarm: Sending SMS to 612XXXXXXX@messaging.sprintpcs.com
Jan 4 06:25:55 OpenWrt user.notice lmalarm: sendmail: cannot locate host smtp.gmail.com: Name or service not known
Jan 4 06:25:55 OpenWrt user.notice lmalarm: sendmail: could not send mail (account default from /etc/msmtprc)
Jan 4 06:26:02 OpenWrt user.warn lucid[561]: Alarm stopped
Jan 4 06:39:44 OpenWrt user.err lucid[2904]: Error sending data to 192.168.2.1: 32

Did some more testing and was able to setup Outlook 2013 to connect to an external mail server on port 465 so I know that my ISP nor my router are blocking the port.

Last edited:
Well, I completely reset all configuration and left it as DHCP for my wireless adaptor and it is working now.... Weird.. I'll just have to keep changing my port forwarding through my firewall when the IP changes.

Many routers allow for DHCP reservations. In the router admin (if your routers supports reservations), you can assign a specific IP address for a given device Hardware Ethernet device ID. The router will always provide that IP address for that specific device so it's like having the best of both static (consistent IP address) and dynamic (no client settings) worlds.

I tried configuring a Static IP again and broke email and SMS... Set it back to DHCP and it started working... Per your suggestion I dug into my router and figured out how to reserve a DHCP IP address. It works perfectly! Thank you for the help, it was exactly what I needed.

Check and see if your username and password are being saved properly when the "submit" button. I've noticed the heatermeter username and password are substituted when you think the email username and password you just entered were saved. An obvious software bug that needs to be fixed!!!

Typo

Check and see if your username and password are being saved properly when the "submit" button. I've noticed the heatermeter username and password are substituted when you think the email username and password you just entered were saved. An obvious software bug that needs to be fixed!!!

Should read "when the "submit" button IS PUSHED"

Back