Weber 22 1/2" Kettle Charcoal Grill Stainless Steel Wok 8412

I have had one for a few years. I have only used it a few times. My belief is that it could work well with practice. However. there are 2 major issues to overcome. First, it is made from stainless steel. Stainless does not "cure" like carbon steel or cast iron (woks and skillets respectively) so sticking can be bad unless you use more cooking oil than would be otherwise necessary. The second problem is temperature control. A wok works best with high heat under the center and little elsewhere. By moving the food back and forth over the hot spot, traditional stir-fry cooking is accomplished. With the Weber wok, one must build a pile of (very) hot coals under the wok. Since once the wok is set in place it is difficult to move while hot, adjusting the coals once set is pretty much a no go. The air flow to the fire is via the bowl vents and out through holes in the rim of the wok. As such, it seems to be barely adequate to sustain the fire unless the starting point is too much coals and too hot and letting it cool down a bit before cooking.

I do feel it is a good accessory. However, I have not used it very much due to replacing my gas cooktop in my kitchen to one with a wok ring for the high BTU center burner.

I just found out about this accessory today. I checked ebay and found a seller who has it for a little less than $16 shipped! I'm excited to try it out.

I have had one for a few years. I have only used it a few times. My belief is that it could work well with practice. However. there are 2 major issues to overcome. First, it is made from stainless steel. Stainless does not "cure" like carbon steel or cast iron (woks and skillets respectively) so sticking can be bad unless you use more cooking oil than would be otherwise necessary. The second problem is temperature control. A wok works best with high heat under the center and little elsewhere. By moving the food back and forth over the hot spot, traditional stir-fry cooking is accomplished. With the Weber wok, one must build a pile of (very) hot coals under the wok. Since once the wok is set in place it is difficult to move while hot, adjusting the coals once set is pretty much a no go. The air flow to the fire is via the bowl vents and out through holes in the rim of the wok. As such, it seems to be barely adequate to sustain the fire unless the starting point is too much coals and too hot and letting it cool down a bit before cooking.

I do feel it is a good accessory. However, I have not used it very much due to replacing my gas cooktop in my kitchen to one with a wok ring for the high BTU center burner.

Vortex plus this wok would probably be a nice set up; since you need the high heat in the center.

Last edited:
Well, my Wok arrived today. Brand new and sealed. Not bad for $16! The seller still has several available. Now I just need some good recipes!

tTFPbLu.jpg

Back